Cutting cover plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Gee I don't know Bob, that doesn't seem accurate enough. ;) :D
All joking aside, I have had plates made by a woodworking buddy on his CNC router. I needed two that were two gang plates with a 3 Despard switches in the one gang and a single pole in the other. I could have ordered that plate from P&S or Mulberry, but it would have had to be metal. I supplied my buddy with a several 2-gang nylon blanks to make them out of so that everything matched well in the end.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
:grin:

I don't want your to talk I want you to die.
Why do they always shoot at Bond, but once they have him, not only do they rig a slow death, but they then leave him alone?

Why do criminals throw the empty gun at Superman after they shoot him over and over and the bullets had no effect? :-? Why?

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Why do they always shoot at Bond, but once they have him, not only do they rig a slow death, but they then leave him alone?

Dr. Evil: Scott, I want you to meet daddy's nemesis, Austin Powers

Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?

Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

Why do criminals throw the empty gun at Superman after they shoot him over and over and the bullets had no effect? :-? Why?

:D

The director said to?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
dremel tool w/ a cut-off wheel works great. somebody mentioned that earlier in this post. you have to go slow w/ the p&s nylon plates because they melt easily. the thermoplastic plates cut the cleanest. to me, its easier to use the dremel by yourself for trimming instead of the belt sander; unless you have a stationary belt sander.

c2500

Belt sander is the first choice. A table saw as a second. One must go very slowly with the table saw though, or the plate may be relocated into a wall. The key to dealing with the hard plastic is to cut very very slowly. And did I mention very slow on the hard plastic?

c2500

480sparky

LarryFine said:
Why do they always shoot at Bond, but once they have him, not only do they rig a slow death, but they then leave him alone? Why?

I was thinking about Batman & Robin, myself.

iwire said:
For cutting $0.30 plates nothing less then a CNC high pressure water jet cutter should be used. I keep this one in a trailer behind my truck. :D

DWJ3020-BB_CNC.jpg
Do you have a generator next to it, or just hope they have three phase and a spare properly sized breaker on your jobs?:roll:

HighWirey

mdshunk said:
All joking aside, I have had plates made by a woodworking buddy on his CNC router. I needed two that were two gang plates with a 3 Despard switches in the one gang and a single pole in the other. I could have ordered that plate from P&S or Mulberry, but it would have had to be metal. I supplied my buddy with a several 2-gang nylon blanks to make them out of so that everything matched well in the end.

I am fortunate. My brother has a homemade CNC, 24" x 24" bed. Draws the cutoff (or cutout) in Autocad, imports it, wacks it! Flawless.

Priceless, well except for the beer.

Best Wishes Everyone

lat1

i have tried most of the methods mentioned here, besides the cnc laser, and the other day i discovered the BEST method out there. if the tile guy is on the job borrow ,his wet-saw. super straight, clean, and accurate. plus the tile saw blade is a little less intimidating than a chop/table saw.

360Youth

Hack saw, coping saw, or my prefered method, if you have a good surface to secure the plate and not scratch the surface, screw the plate face down and variable speed sawzall.

Status
Not open for further replies.