Derating more than 3 current carrying conductors in a conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To muddy the water just a bit, in the latter situation (4 wire branch circuit using all 3 phases) if the major portion of the load is non-linear harmonic currents would require the neutral to be counted.

Good point, I was going for the clear as a mountain stream approach. :roll:

Sparky32297

On single phase if you have a neutral with 2 hots, on opposite phases, then it would not be considered current carrying.

For three phase the neutral would not count when you have a neutral with 3 hot wires from different phases.

If you have 2 hots and a neutral on a 3 phase system then it does count.

So, I have some guys running a neutral for each phase on 2 hots on oppisite phases on single phase - (to get around the common handled breaker for shared neutrals) so do both neutrals count as a ccc or since it is a balanced circuit do they not count??

hardworkingstiff

So, I have some guys running a neutral for each phase on 2 hots on oppisite phases on single phase - (to get around the common handled breaker for shared neutrals) so do both neutrals count as a ccc or since it is a balanced circuit do they not count??

The circuits do not get balanced in the method you described until they get back into the panel and neutral bar. Both neutrals will be carrying the full current of the associated phase conductor and since they carry the full load and not just the unbalanced load, they count as CCCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.