drilling bell boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

Hole, silicone, and screw here. The tabs are worthless.... but I haven't heard (seen) anyone say (write )... is that code compliant?

realolman

I guess I should be gleaning some sort of knowlege from the last few posts, but I'm not.:-?

It is no disgrace to be dumb, but it's unhandy as hell.:smile:

iwire

Staff member
I guess I should be gleaning some sort of knowlege from the last few posts, but I'm not.:-?

My only point was the code rule is worded in a way that does not require us to follow every direction offered by the manufacturer

NEC 110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

nakulak

I hear what you are saying, but (ahem), let's say a manufacturer's instructions (the cheezy ones that come with the device) told me to do x,y and z, and let's say the listing didn't, well, if I did not follow the manufacturer's instructions, I'm still going to be out for a lousy time in court if someone gets hurt. So in all practicality, it seems to me that it becomes necessary to follow all the instructions, and not just what the listing says. jmshio

iwire

Staff member
I hear what you are saying, but (ahem), let's say a manufacturer's instructions (the cheezy ones that come with the device) told me to do x,y and z, and let's say the listing didn't, well, if I did not follow the manufacturer's instructions, I'm still going to be out for a lousy time in court if someone gets hurt. So in all practicality, it seems to me that it becomes necessary to follow all the instructions, and not just what the listing says. jmshio

I hear you, there are often warranty threats as well, bit often those are illegal. (An example is an auto manufacturer trying to say the use of non-dealer service would void a warranty)

But back to the liability issue, if I install it I am on the hook for it no matter how I did it. Sometimes I will follow the directions to the letter, other times .......

steelersman

I have repaired bell boxes and wall-pack lights
where the source of corrosion was from water and debri
entering in through the mounting holes.

How can water or debris enter the box through the mounting holes when there is no penetration into the box from the mounting tabs (threaded holes in the back of the box that do not pass completely through to the inside of the box)?

monkey

I always drill them, out here 9 out of 10 times they are going on a masonary wall using wall anchors. Here's a tip: I keep a cheap $5 mini step bit in the container of wall anchors, it works GREAT for punching those KOs, and lasts forever with that thin pot metal.
I get them at the counter of a tool supply, probably Harbor freight has them too.

e57

A neat trick I just learned is the use of double sided bituthane sheets, and a screw through the box. I have always screwed thru the back - but the bituthane makes a nice gasket. It also acts as a third hand while doing it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
A neat trick I just learned is the use of double sided bituthane sheets, and a screw through the box. I have always screwed thru the back - but the bituthane makes a nice gasket. It also acts as a third hand while doing it.

Is that similar to that black adhesive foam gasket that sometimes comes with wallpacks? Where are you getting the bituthane sheets?

boyle78

How can water or debris enter the box through the mounting holes when there is no penetration into the box from the mounting tabs (threaded holes in the back of the box that do not pass completely through to the inside of the box)?

If the k.o.'s on the top or back aren't in all the way or didn't get some silicone (which I think the directions DO say) I would think it would be a good place to look. Also the gaskets for the covers never seem to make great contact with the outer rim of the dang box.

steelersman

If the k.o.'s on the top or back aren't in all the way or didn't get some silicone (which I think the directions DO say) I would think it would be a good place to look. Also the gaskets for the covers never seem to make great contact with the outer rim of the dang box.
I know that but I was referring to what glene77is said about water and debris entering through the mounting holes. The mounting holes don't go through the box making it impossible for water to enter that way.

dezwitinc

From the 2007 White Book:

Field Modifications
What happens to the Listing if a UL-Listed product is modified in the field?
An authorized use of the UL Mark is the manufacturer’s declaration that the product was originally manufactured in accordance with the applicable requirements when it was shipped from the factory.
When a UL-Listed product is modified after it leaves the factory, UL has no way to determine if the product continues to comply with the safety requirements used to certify the product without investigating the
modified product.
UL can neither indicate that such modifications ‘‘void’’ the UL Mark, nor that the product continues to meet UL’s safety requirements, unless the field modifications have been specifically investigated by UL.
It is the responsibility of the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to determine the acceptability of the modification or if the modifications are significant enough to require one of UL’s Field Engineering Services staff members to evaluate the modified product. UL can assist the AHJ in making this
determination.
An exception for a field modification authorized by UL is when the product has specific replacement markings. For example, a switchboard may have specific grounding kits added in the field. The switchboard is marked with a list of specific kit numbers that have been investigated for use in that
particular switchboard. Only grounding kits that are included on the marking on the product have been investigated for use in that product.
If a party wishes UL to determine if the modifications made to a UL Listed product comply with UL requirements, the appropriate Field Engineering Service can be initiated to investigate the modifications.
This investigation will only be conducted after UL consults with the AHJ to ensure that UL’s investigation addresses all areas of concern and meets all of the AHJ’s needs.
If you have any questions or would like to inquire about a Field Evaluation, contact Field Services at
+1-877-UL-HELPS, prompt #2 (+1-877-854-3577) or visit http://www.ul.com/field/index.html.

mdshunk

I would hardly call breaking out the two little tits for the screw holes a modification any more than I'd call knocking out a knockout a modification. That's what those two dimples are for... screws.

480sparky

From RACOs website on their 5385-0 Bell box:

bellboxspecs.jpg

If you don't use the detachable lugs (ears/tabs), what other 7 ways are there to mount it?

Status
Not open for further replies.