drilling bell boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Is that similar to that black adhesive foam gasket that sometimes comes with wallpacks? Where are you getting the bituthane sheets?
No- this is simular to - or may even be the same type material as the 3M splicing mastic. But a thinner more uniform sheet - typically it is used around windows under the flashing. You can get it in huge rolls, or narrow strips - and it may be quite pricy.... The last time I had to use it, it was all provided for me by the GC. My current and last project have a real tweak for a water-proofing engineer - over-kill IMO, but hey....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I prefer the PVC bell-boxes. They come with four mounting tabs molded as part of the box, the KO's are closed off until you open the ones you need, and no bonding.

I do drill two 1/8" drain holes in the bottom side of just about every "water-proof" box I mount outdoors, as well as the bottom side of LB's and other such fittings.

jrannis

OK, I have been using the taps ever since I recieved a rejection for putting a tapcon and fender washer through the back center knock out.
Its a rare occasion for me to use a cast Bell Box now that PVC FS boxes are around

glene77is

dezwitinc wrote:
"From the 2007 White Book:"

Very good response.

We should be very careful & thoughtful when doing field-engineering.

Drilling holes in boxes and cross-installing circuit breakers are common things.

I wonder what other activities are not such a 'sure fix'
and more obviously come under White Book cautionary flags ?

I recall 'fixing' aluminum connections with axle grease from our truck
(that was at Smith&Keene, Virginia Beach, VA, 1959).

Perhaps this calls for a new topic?
"Fixing Aluminum Wiring" is one of my favorite subjects,
since I have lived with and fixed a bunch of it.

iwire

Staff member
We should be very careful & thoughtful when doing field-engineering.

I agree, we should also use common sense. :smile:

Drilling holes in boxes and cross-installing circuit breakers are common things.

Drilling holes in boxes is almost always OK.

'Cross-installing circuit breakers' is almost always a direct violation of the panels labeling.

480sparky

OK, I have been using the taps ever since I recieved a rejection for putting a tapcon and fender washer through the back center knock out.....

Did you receieve a code reference with that as well?

I recall one manufacturer that makes a mounting system specifically for the KO. Arlington, I believe.

benaround

On the instalation instructions with a 'bell' box it says install tabs with screws provided,

on the next line it says ' install box firmly to surface'.

It never mentions the 2 dimples inside the box, and it does not say to drill the box.

It does say to use 'silicon' for the threaded openings to seal agianst water penatrating.

Personally, I like to secure them firmly to the surface.

480sparky

Here we go: Arlingtons' Bell box holder:

Weatherproof%20Box%20Holder.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.