Electrician's Success International???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aline

For 12 years I worked with a plumber as a maintenance electrician at an industrial plant. He had been operating his plumbing business for five years before going to work at the industrial plant.

He worked the night shift so he could run his business during the day. He was NOT a one man shop but had several employees working for him. He was NOT just doing side jobs. He was keeping his guys busy every day.

Why do you think he was working nights at a second job?
Do you think he had too much free time on his hands and needed something to do with it?
Do you think it might be that he wasn't charging enough and had to get the second night job to make ends meet?

I was curious about this so I asked him.
He told me he took on the second night job just for the benefits.

I think his plumbing business was struggling and he needed the second job for the extra money and the benefits. His own company couldn't provide him with enough income and benefits so he got the second job.

There's another plumber in town who has at least ten trucks on the road.
I mentioned him one night to the plumber buddy I was working with and his response was that the guy was an overpriced rip off.

It's kind of funny this other overpriced rip off plumber didn't have to work a second job so he could keep his plumbing business open.

The last time I talked to him he was practically bragging about how his company only charges half of what the overpriced rip off plumber, that doesn't need to get a second job for benefits, was charging.

Needless to say I realized then and there that I didn't want to follow in his footsteps but rather follow in the footsteps of the overpriced rip off plumber.

I don't want to have to get a second job.

I have a neighbor that does excavating.
I was chatting with him the other day and he was pointing out his rusted out trucks and equipment that was leaking oil.

He told me he needs to get new equipment but just doesn't have the money for it.

Why do you suppose he doesn't have the money for new trucks and equipment?
These ones have been paid off for years he doesn't owe any money on them.

Could it be he didn't factor equipment replacement costs into his overhead?
Nobody would do that would they?
Your equipment is going to last forever right? :)

I'm sure there are guys out there right now that have their equipment paid for but aren't factoring equipment replacement costs into their overhead. I guess the money will somehow appear when it's time to replace the trucks and equipment.

Last edited:

satcom

brian john said:
Not speaking for SATCOM, but I think his idea was not all of us will become rich, but to be successful you want to make enough to live comfortably and support a family, if you do become rich well all he more power to you.

Exactly!

For the area, I am in 65K is medium low income, (Better not miss a weeks work or get sick type income)

90K is middle income (Ok to miss a few weeks of work, but don't get too sick)

120K is middle upper ( Miss work, and the next guy in line has your position, you can take down the bed sheets, in a few rooms now and buy some Wall Mart drapes.

Jomaul

brian john said:
I hope to make more than that, I have electricians making $90,000.00 plus a year, then there are the beneies, holidays and 2 weeks vacation. I don't seem to get the vacation for some reason.

Not speaking for SATCOM, but I think his idea was not all of us will become rich, but to be successful you want to make enough to live comfortably and support a family, if you do become rich well all he more power to you.

As for residential service changes, when I started in the trade 37 years ago this month, a service change was a $1.00 an amp, $200.00 got you a new 200 amp service all ready for that new central AC unit everyone was installing. No idea what they go for now $2000.00 an amp?

I remember that 1.00 an amp. I started out that long ago to. Its funny hearing that again.Outlets were bid a 5.00 per opening to.

aline

cowboyjwc said:
My guess would be that most of those customers that you consider rich don't really own all that stuff, they just share it with the bank.

I once had an economics teacher say that he hoped that we would all be sucessful enough in life to be at least $500,000.00 in debt.
That would be me. I don't own my stuff either but I have a lot less stuff than they do. :)

They're having a lot more fun being in debt than I am.

ITO

What gets me are all the businesses and organizations that want to:

a) show me how to make money as if I am not now
b) show me what I am doing wrong which only they can show me
c) lobby on my behalf or the evil GCs will take us to the bank
d) represent me because I really need it
e) educate me on my business in some way
f) get me to join a trade group for my own good
g) sell me some new software that I have to have

?.all for a fee of course, which reminds me of a Tom Waits Song:
http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/tom_waits/step_right_up.html

Its like we are the work hoarse and everyone wants to hitch their trailer up to the gravy train. NECA is one of those groups, that I seriously question what they actually do for me.

Or how about the salesman that comes by with the sales pitch about much money they are going to save us in labor with their over priced new junction box, or pre-wired device, with their excel spread sheet to show the savings break down with MY labor units?

Oh and by the way, there is no such thing as a ?free seminar?.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
aline said:
That would be me. I don't own my stuff either but I have a lot less stuff than they do. :)

They're having a lot more fun being in debt than I am.
Remember what they say about the higher up you go........

There used to be a guy around that would take out full page ads in the big local papers. "Send me $10 and I'll tell you how to become a millionaire." He would then send you a brochure that said..."take out a full page ad in the local paper...."

satcom

ITO said:
?free seminar?.

They don't need free seminars, or become part of a group, what they need is to follow, the already established, pricatical business practices, and methods of operating a business.

1984 $10 an amp, 200A in RMC $2,000

emahler

one other thing to really keep in mind....you can't just raise your rates, you have to increase your service too...

it's been compared to eating a steak at Lone Star vs. Morton's....

both are steaks, but the experience is completely different....so are the prices...

ITO

Sony sells the same crap for a lot more than the other guys, and people love it. I think if you are going to raise your rates you have to spin er I mean market yourself better.

Last edited:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Marketing your business is an artform. I'ts not just advertising, it's PR. This takes many forms. In a small town like ours word of mouth is a big deal. Every now and then I'll get a customer who disputes the bill by suggesting we weren't there that long or some such thing; I usually tell them to write the largest check they can and still refer me to thier friends and neghbors. More often than not I get the whole thing. They feel empowered and they now need to be fair to me. Great PR tool.

sparky_magoo

If the HO doesn't have the brains to plug a light into the disposal outlet, then they should be charged. If it was an elderly person, there is usually a caregiver who could figure something this simple out.

When I get called out because a heater won't turn on and find the FAU has power, I charge $75. An exception would be for a loyal customer. They are the ones who get love from my shop.

Ouch. Gonna get the whole story from the horse's mouth eventually. I suppose it's probably one of those situations where once you've joined and are on that path it's not easy to quit and carry on?

g@friendly

Yes it easy to cancel and any material / system that they have given you must go back including your YP ads and what ever else as far as ESI.
And to Sparky Mago when you go to the Doctor and says you are fine and sends you home you have to pay for the office vist after sitting in the waiting room for an hour. And 3 month later you die cause you had something wrong and your family can't even sue him. But we are suppose to trouble shoot a circuit and give a free estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.