enclosed service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
What I don't see is how installing 4' of service conductors in the wall is any more of a violation that installing several feet of SE cable in a basement.

I have to agree with you there.:)

In my 27+ years in the trade I have never seen a home damaged from these in-wall service conductors.

There are many things I have not seen, that does not mean they do not exist

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
In my 27+ years in the trade I have never seen a home damaged from these in-wall service conductors. I personally think having service conductors in rigid conduit closed up in a stud space is probably safer that exposed SE cable in a basement.
I've been in the trade 31 years and have seen several things in the last 4 that I hadn't seen in the first 27. The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I realize that just because I haven't seen something happen doesn't mean it hasn't. My only point that if installing service conductors in a wall was as dangerous as some people think most of us would see the results. Even if a fault occurs in surface mounted service conductors on wood siding there is a good chance the building if going to be severely damaged.

e57

230.70(A)(1) in 49 states, get over what you are used to and read the section. :roll:

Now I have to go beat a wall until I break a hand.
Bob the code doesn't change as you cross the border of the states next to CA - just the interpetation - and even town to town and city to city the interpatation of this particular code changes - as the code (as written) allows just that. Both interpetations of it 'allowing SE's in the walls' or 'Disallowing SE's in the walls' fit the wording - it is just who is reading them.... ;)

The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

The word "nearest" could be 40' or so.... (Between a place suitable entering the building, and a place suitable for a disconnect) Depending on who reads the codes mood... I'm sure there are many who have put in proposals to eliminate the underlined portion of the code above to no avail... Practices in many areas vary - which is why it is good to know the practices in your area...

Status
Not open for further replies.