Votes: 4 100.0%
  • closed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

tryinghard said:
Oh I know how to calculate wirefill for boxes, I don't think mivey relizes how easy it is to overfill one; do you?
If you will read some of my previous posts, you will see how silly that statement is.:roll:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
quogueelectric said:
No backpedalling here but occasionally I like to hear about it from an expert:grin: :grin:
I am a 12 wire lover 14 is ok tho it has its place and I never said anything bad about it other than it is a minimal code instalation and that is about the best you can hope to get in this world.

unless you run #10awg romex to the circuits that code requires to be 20a, you cannot use that argument; because unless you're using #10 for these circuits, you're just doing code minimum.

tryinghard

mivey said:
I think we all know how to apply 314.16, so skip the cute stuff and get to the point. (I assume we all know, but if you really don't know, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it).

[edit: I see from a later post you do, you are just trying to be cute]

No I am not trying to be cute! I am asking you a specific question that you are avoiding. This question IS related to the OP

mivey

tryinghard said:
No I am not trying to be cute! I am asking you a specific question that you are avoiding. This question IS related to the OP

From post #1:
bikeindy said:
All you guys who just can't see your way to using 15 amp circuits.

How many of you own and operate a business?
Manage an EC business?
Do estimating and get the work for an EC?
Please tell me which of those three questions you are working on?

tryinghard

mivey said:
From post #1:
Please tell me which of those three questions you are working on?
this one​
bikeindy said:
All you guys who just can't see your way to using 15 amp circuits.

And I'm trying to point out how easy it is to over fill a box by those who won't use 14

Last edited:

quogueelectric

brantmacga said:
unless you run #10awg romex to the circuits that code requires to be 20a, you cannot use that argument; because unless you're using #10 for these circuits, you're just doing code minimum.
Who said I am putting it on a 20 a breaker??

mivey

tryinghard said:
And I'm trying to point out how easy it is to over fill a box by those who won't use 14
Well my friend, that's why they make more than one box size.:roll: If I'm doing re-work and need a bigger box, I put one in. If it is new work, I put whatever size box I need. What in the world is wrong with that?:-?

tryinghard

mivey said:
Well my friend, that's why they make more than one box size.:roll: If I'm doing re-work and need a bigger box, I put one in. If it is new work, I put whatever size box I need. What in the world is wrong with that?:-?

You still have not answered my question for a 3 gang box

mivey

tryinghard said:
You still have not answered my question for a 3 gang box
sigh:roll: OK, I would calculate the minimum size using 314.16. Do you have a point yet or are you still prepping for the big reveal?

mivey

480sparky said:
And what is the in? of your 3-gang box?
He finally threw out 44 cu in but he fails to recognize that doesn't tell the whole story. You would think an expert box fill calculator like him would know that is not all of the information needed for a definitive answer.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
so instead of nailing up all the boxes first, you pull the wires first and then size the boxes according to how many conductors you have there? why not just use #14. add that to the list of reasons. -- or you could just use deep boxes everywhere and save the hassle of carrying different sizes and box fill calculations and other nonsense.

mivey

brantmacga said:
so instead of nailing up all the boxes first, you pull the wires first and then size the boxes according to how many conductors you have there? why not just use #14. add that to the list of reasons. -- or you could just use deep boxes everywhere and save the hassle of carrying different sizes and box fill calculations and other nonsense.
No, I have a wiring plan before I nail the first box.

mivey

brantmacga said:
...you could just use deep boxes everywhere and save the hassle of carrying different sizes and box fill calculations and other nonsense.
In case you don't realize it, a 1-gang deep box won't handle every situation. I have put in a 2-gang switch at a location to help with box fill and avoid having to have a j-box elsewhere.

[edit: just using deep boxes does not mean you can avoid the box fill calculations]

tryinghard

mivey said:
He finally threw out 44 cu in but he fails to recognize that doesn't tell the whole story. You would think an expert box fill calculator like him would know that is not all of the information needed for a definitive answer.

mivey,

Please do not take my press personal I am trying to convey a point to all the on-lookers who may be convinced 12 the only way to go.

mivey

tryinghard said:
mivey,

Please do not take my press personal I am trying to convey a point to all the on-lookers who may be convinced 12 the only way to go.
Then make your point and quit insisting that someone else run calculations to support your position.

Don't worry, I'm not offended:) We are all friends here.

[edit: typo]

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mivey said:
1) In case you don't realize it, a 1-gang deep box won't handle every situation.

2) I have put in a 2-gang switch at a location to help with box fill and avoid having to have a j-box elsewhere.

[edit: just using deep boxes does not mean you can avoid the box fill calculations]

1) - of course i realize that; i have a license as well, being in GA most likely the same one you do

2) - why would you put a 2-gang box and put one device in it? that looks like poo, and thus the reason for making overhead joints in the lighting box that said switch serves.

my wiring plan takes into account a situation that may have too many wires at one location (like that one more hot you need to feed that other switch box), and allows me to know which lighting box is going to get the extra conductors. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.