Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok, the poll is closed.

My apologies to the OP.

Roger

mivey

iwire said:
It appears from your posts that you are unaware of NEC box sizing requirements.

From an NEC perspective 12 AWG takes up more space then 14 AWG.
It would appear that you are not aware that how many wires I need in a box is based on what I'm trying to do inside that box, not the wire size. I use the box I need to fit the # conductors, devices, connectors, & fittings.

Changing the wires size doesn't change how the circuit works. I'm suprised you don't know this.

bikeindy

iwire said:
It appears from your posts that you are unaware of NEC box sizing requirements.

From an NEC perspective 12 AWG takes up more space then 14 AWG.

I think that from an NEC perpective 12 AWG requires more space, and it is from a phyical perpective that 12 AWG takes up more space. But I get what you are trying to say.

Minuteman

roger said:
Well, I figured a "Do You" or "Don't You" poll would give pure answers.

I'll remove it at 6:30 EST in the morning and I apologize for attaching it to your thread

Now, I don't understand why some of you can't vote.

Roger
I couldn't vote because I most jurisdiction I work in banned 14, and the ones that allow it are to far out from the metro for me to mess with.

Therefore, for the most part, the only time I handle 14 is industrial controls.

Didn't see that choice in the poll.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Minuteman said:
Didn't see that choice in the poll.

It wasn't in the poll and really wouldn't apply to those who do not have a choice but, if I were in that situation, I would have to cast my vote based on if I did have a choice.

Roger

mivey

roger said:
But does any of this have anything to do with the OP? :D

Roger
Apparently, as long as you don't try to run a poll, anything goes:grin:

BTW I voted for "I use #14..." because I do sometimes. There was no option for having used both #12 and #14, depending on the situation.

quogueelectric

roger said:
Back peddling are we ? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Roger
No backpedalling here but occasionally I like to hear about it from an expert:grin: :grin:
I am a 12 wire lover 14 is ok tho it has its place and I never said anything bad about it other than it is a minimal code instalation and that is about the best you can hope to get in this world.

tryinghard

tryinghard said:
I'm asking you specifically how many #12's can/will you install in your 3 gang switch box, counting the switches of course which happen to be deco style?

mivey said:
Asking the same questions will get you the same answers unless you provide some additional info:
mivey said:
"How many #12's": As many as I need?

deco?

mivey, I'm asking you specifically:
If you have a standard 3 gang switch box that is 44 CI how many #12's will you install in it, how do you calculate your wire fill that determines your box size?

"Deco" means decora wall switches; look in your Leviton catalog, there the ones with tiny finish screws and low tolerances for box problems.

stickboy1375

tryinghard said:
If you have a standard 3 gang switch box that is 44 CI how many #12's will you install in it, how do you calculate your wire fill that determines your box size?

"Deco" means decora wall switches; look in your Leviton catalog, there the ones with tiny finish screws and low tolerances for box problems.
Why not start a new thread if you want to know how to do a box fill?

mivey

tryinghard said:

I think we all know how to apply 314.16, so skip the cute stuff and get to the point. (I assume we all know, but if you really don't know, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it).

[edit: I see from a later post you do, you are just trying to be cute]

Status
Not open for further replies.