Freeze!!! NEC Police!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

sguinn said:
I could count on one hand the amount of jobs I've done in the last ten years that had white devices.

Weird. It must be a local thing. Ivory went out of style here 20 years ago. It's still common for commercial, but residential is 100% white devices.

Jim W in Tampa

sguinn said:
The HD in my town sells 90% white devices. I could count on one hand the amount of jobs I've done in the last ten years that had white devices. I spoke with the manager about this and told him that most all EC's in the area predominantly use ivory devices. He said that all stock was based on what was normally stocked in Atlanta. I let him know that his store was losing a ton of money by not asking local EC's, general contractors, plumbers etc. what type of material they used mostly. :confused:

Well here in Tampa many of our commercial jobs are now going white.Additions usually follow the old.White looks good with almost everything.HD will carry what sells and if your carefull you get a bargain on lots of its items.They will slam you on the odd stuff like 1/2 set screw couplings but if your in hurry you pay it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have done more Light almond receptacle jobs in the last 5 years than I have done Ivory. White is by far #1. Over 25 years ago I was one of the first contractors in the area to use white. I had to have it special ordered. Now white is almost a given for everyone.

SmithBuilt

Dennis Alwon said:
I just learned, from a fairly reliable source, that NC will probably not be enforcing the TP receptacles nor will they be enforcing 334.15(C) -- the crawl space part. Sorry Ryan.

And the peasants rejoiced!! No wait that was just my employees rejoicing about the crawlspace part.:grin:

Tim

electricmanscott

Task lighting just called me about their product. They went out and bought a code book. :D Of course they had no idea where to find the TR requirement.

They say they will call again with any update on what they are going to do with their plug strips.

stickboy1375

iwire said:
I think a lot of contractors do use Home Depot, I actually get multi page advertisements in the mail from Home Depot aimed specifically at electrical contractors. It is addressed to me, not 'resident'. The only way they could have my name and address is from the state licensing board.

Sure Mike didn't sell you out? :grin: :grin: :grin:

c2500

Big Box vs Supply House

Big Box vs Supply House

Well my experience as a licensed residential builder and licensed residential electrician in South Carolina is mixed. OSB is equally priced or less at BB vs SH. Sheetrock lower at SH. Mouldings are 50% less at SH. Romex cheaper at BB. Wire by the foot way cheaper at SH. Rolled wire usually equal. Klien Tools cheaper at BB. Conduit about equal.

I like to use Cutler Hammer CH panels, and Lowes here is much cheaper for the package with the 200amp main and extra breakers. SH said they could not come close.

c2500

raider1

Staff member
chevyx92 said:
I do not have a copy of the 2008 code yet so could someone please post the article the OP is refrencing? Thanks.

Here is the text of 406.11 from the 2008 NEC.

406.11 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units.
In all areas specified in 210.52, all 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

Chris

480sparky

peter d said:
Weird. It must be a local thing. Ivory went out of style here 20 years ago. It's still common for commercial, but residential is 100% white devices.

White, and even LA, looks sick in a log home.

DSC04952a.jpg

electricmanscott

Is that receptacle upside down? :wink:

I use lots of light almond and lots of white. I keep minimal amounts of ivory on the truck. I even keep a few browm and black receptacles just in case.

480sparky

electricmanscott said:
Is that receptacle upside down? :wink:

Why, yes it is, but it is perfectly safe because it does not have a metal cover, and the homeowners don't have any small metal parts in their house. :grin:

jerm

white/ivory

white/ivory

(yes, off topic, but I'm just continuing the trend...)

my father insists on ivory when not specified- but we use white when not specified. I agree that ivory went out about 20 years ago. (and he's about 30 years behind the times, so maybe in another 10 he'll go to white!) ;)

Davis9

I use Ivory for Apts and remodels.

White for some New Construction.

Must have put in 6500 Ivory devices last year, maybe 1500 white.:-?

Now I got to find these darn TR ones.LOL

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.