Freeze!!! NEC Police!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

peter d said:
Sorry, I was not specific. :) 100% of new construction homes have white devices installed. Any one that I have done or seen has white devices.

Existing homes we will obviously match what is there or ask the customer what their preference is.

So Dennis is right, it's about 99% white devices. ;)

But that is just your opinion based in your area .

Carl :rolleyes:

iwire

Staff member
Krim said:
But that is just your opinion based in your area .

Carl :rolleyes:

I think Pete and I are missing your point. :roll:

This started with what Home Depot stocks on the shelves......you can bet they stock what sells.

Krim

iwire said:
I think Pete and I are missing your point. :roll:

This started with what Home Depot stocks on the shelves......you can bet they stock what sells.

iwire, Dennis & Peter had both stated that the receptacles & switches where they live are,originally stated 100%,than reduced to 99%, white in color for residential useage. I had merely stated that that was thier opinion based in ( should have read "upon" ) your meaning their area ... of the country.
That's all too it. Nothing really offensive implied.
Carl

hillbilly

paul said:
Wow, you guys are in vogue. I'm still using brown devices. :cool:

I've wired 7 log homes in past 18 months, and all of them have brown receptacles and switches.

It's hard to find a good selection of brown (multi-gang) cover plates around here, and I've actually had to paint some (white) plates because I couldn't find the right combination in brown (or black).

Same with phone and Cable TV jacks.

I've searched the internet, and one place that I found with a pretty good selection is www.hardwareandtools.com, although the price is kinda high on some items.

Do you have a source?

steve

iwire

Staff member
In areas of our house my Dad had remodeled in the 50s he used brown devices with ivory 'grooved' plates. I think he wanted to draw attention to the fancy electricity. :grin:

mdshunk

hillbilly said:
It's hard to find a good selection of brown (multi-gang) cover plates around here, and I've actually had to paint some (white) plates because I couldn't find the right combination in brown (or black).

Same with phone and Cable TV jacks.
I had to get a Brown combination phone/CATV jack once. I think it came from one of my NOS people. Probably Brooklyn-Queens Electric.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
I've had people ask that the switched receptacle, in rooms that feature them, be a different color. I've had people ask that a certain light switch in a ganged box be a different color than the rest. I think it looks retarded, but whatever they want I can do.

I usually put my grounds down (but let's not get into that debate again....please!!!!!), but my split receps are ground up. That way, the devices are all the same color.

And to reiterate, please let's not go into ground up/ground down territory because I posted this.

JohnJ0906

When I started in the trade (1990) I did a lot of tract housing. The big builders used ivory, and, I guess by default, most of the others did too. When 2 very large builders changed to white devices, most of the others did too.

We use white for everything residential, unless it is in a cabinent, in which case we may use ivory or brown to better match the wood.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
Can you spot the 5 switches and 3 receptacles in this photo?:

DSC04653a.jpg

The receptacles are easy: one on each side of the fireplace, and one on the floor.

The switches are harder, but I think I see some left of the fireplace and on the landing.

JohnJ0906

480sparky said:
Yes, there's 3 on the floor, but you still haven't found all of them on the wall.

I saw the ones on the wall, I was commenting on the "1 on the floor" part.

This is a case where the ivory is a good choice for the application. Why would you put white? By the same token, most new houses that I see are sold with white walls, we put white devices to blend in, not ivory or brown to stand out.

480sparky

JohnJ0906 said:
This is a case where the ivory is a good choice for the application. Why would you put white? By the same token, most new houses that I see are sold with white walls, we put white devices to blend in, not ivory or brown to stand out.

That's my point. Install what is the most aesthetically pleasing, not what you prefer to carry on the truck.

I've had homes where I install 85% white, but there's some ivory and LA in some places, brown on the cabinets, black in the backsplash and grey in the tile, such as what I will put here:

DSC05558a.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
That's my point. Install what is the most aesthetically pleasing, not what you prefer to carry on the truck.

Hey.....it's my truck I will carry what I want and they will learn to like it. :grin:

You do some nice work 480. :smile: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.