Freeze!!! NEC Police!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
You are correct. I pull the nails and snip off the clips. Then screw through the side into the log. Not much else I can do, unless someone out there has a better idea.
No, not really. Arlington's version of the SmartBox would work, but not any different than what you're doing. There's no real good product out to do what you need to do there.... unless you go old-school and use metal gangables and fasten them through the holes in the ears.

Krim

mdshunk said:
No, not really. Arlington's version of the SmartBox would work, but not any different than what you're doing. There's no real good product out to do what you need to do there.... unless you go old-school and use metal gangables and fasten them through the holes in the ears.

I'm sure the plastic boxes look alot better on wood and I personally don't like to use metal boxes unless the rigidity really is an issue due to the fact that I have seen so many metal boxes with burn spots from shorts occuring when someone changes out a bad or defective hot receptacle.Hence why in another thread I stated that I often apply electrical tape on the receptacles screw terminals to prevent such occurances wherever possible.

Thanks for explaining it all to us 480sparky and providing more great photos to show & tell us about your wonderful log cabin experience.

Carl :)

Last edited:

peter d

Krim said:
I'm sure the plastic boxes look alot better on wood and I personally don't like to use metal boxes unless the rigidity really is an issue due to the fact that I have seen so many metal boxes with burn spots from shorts occuring when someone changes out a bad or defective hot receptacle.

I must say that's the first time I've heard that reason not to use metal boxes. :confused:

Krim

peter d said:
I must say that's the first time I've heard that reason not to use metal boxes. :confused:

Peter d , Are you stating that I'm the only one that's ever seen those obvious spot weld's in a receptacle box ? I have a hard time beleiving that.
Carl :confused:

peter d

Krim said:
Peter d , Are you stating that I'm the only one that's ever seen those obvious spot weld's in a receptacle box ?

No, not at all. I've seen many of them. I just wouldn't use the fact that people change out devices live and cause shorts as a reason not to use metal boxes.

It seems like the plastic boxes are a better choice for the log cabin work, but metal would work fine too. :)

Krim

peter d said:
No, not at all. I've seen many of them. I just wouldn't use the fact that people change out devices live and cause shorts as a reason not to use metal boxes.

It seems like the plastic boxes are a better choice for the log cabin work, but metal would work fine too. :)

I agree as to the plastic boxes being the better choice as to the issue of my choosing or preferring to use plastic over the metal boxes someone else awhile back had made the comment about the fact that we ourselves can install what we consider to be safer and idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot . So we have to attempt still, to not take safety too lightly , I guess this statement also let's you all know that I'm also 100% for the GFCI rules.

Krim

Originally Posted by Jim W in Tampa
So them logs are fake ?

480sparky said:
No, they're true logs. They're just milled on the back to be flat. The visible sides are hand-hewn at the manufacturer.

480sparky,
He obviously skipped over or missed your previous posts on this subject.

Carl :roll:

sguinn

480sparky said:
White, and even LA, looks sick in a log home.

DSC04952a.jpg

480, the carpenters make that nice big flat spot for devices here too!:cool:

480sparky

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Would it not have been more practical, from a labor standpoint, to utilize combination LV devices?

40959.jpg

That was my choice, but the log crew had already cut out two boxes. They noticed the wires were different and seperated them. So, two devices. :wink:

Krim

480sparky,
Why did you put the receptacles upside down ?
I thought the grounds go up, unless their mounted high on the wall,than they would be mounted ground down . Ha,Ha ...

480sparky

Krim said:
480sparky,
Why did you put the receptacles upside down ?
I thought the grounds go up, unless their mounted high on the wall,than they would be mounted ground down . Ha,Ha ...

Never thought about it.

But I heard there's a forum for electrician on the 'net that you can discuss it..... :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
480sparky said:
log crew
They noticed the wires were different and seperated them. So, two devices. :wink:
Sub contractors with observation skills and respect for another mans work? Where do you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.