Garage GFCI's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

I got a customer who's got a refrigerator in the garage plugged in a GFI receptacle.
Apparently the refrigerator keeps tripping the GFI every couple days or so. Biggest problem is not having to reset the GFI, but rather by the time they notice refrigerator goes warm.
As far as I know every receptacle in a garage has to be GFI protected. Is there an exception to that regarding refrigerators?
I have to go there this afternoon so I don't have much time to do research on the code, so if anyone has a code reference I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I got a customer who's got a refrigerator in the garage plugged in a GFI receptacle.
Apparently the refrigerator keeps tripping the GFI every couple days or so. Biggest problem is not having to reset the GFI, but rather by the time they notice refrigerator goes warm.
As far as I know every receptacle in a garage has to be GFI protected. Is there an exception to that regarding refrigerators?
I have to go there this afternoon so I don't have much time to do research on the code, so if anyone has a code reference I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

I would look into moving the refrigerator to a different GFI circuit and see if that circuit trips. If it does he needs another refrigerator. If it doesn't start by replacing the GFI that is tripping.
I just did a detached garage and every receptacle had to be GFI and we are under 2008.

Last edited:

dhalleron

jumper

resistance

Many suppliers are doing a poor job of advertising new products. Thanks for the link, these devices can come in handy!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just bought one about 3 weeks ago for about $25.
I paid about $17 but they are not that loud. If you use the garage it will work but if it is an area you don't use everyday you may not here them. I bought 10 and installed one in my basement- little disappointed as the decibel level.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks.

The problem is not the GFCI or the code that requires it. The problem is within the refrigerator. First thing I would check especially if that intermittent is the defrost heater.

hurk27

The problem is not the GFCI or the code that requires it. The problem is within the refrigerator. First thing I would check especially if that intermittent is the defrost heater.

Or someone installed one of those cheap Menard's GFCI receptacles, change it to a Leviton and the problem will go away if it is an inductive kick back problem, but like posted above and even wiring in the cabinet of the fridge could be getting wet from condensation, a meger between hot or neutral and the EGC will show if it is this problem.

liquidtite

Thanks.
I dont have the 2008 nec but I thought that if you wanted to get away with not having a gfi in a garage or unfinshed basment you could use a single plug , or have the plug not readily accesible

stickboy1375

Nope. I don't even think it was allowed in '05.

Connecticut is still on the 2005, and I could just install a single receptacle or a duplex for two appliances located within the dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected....

Even though it is allowed, I normally just install a GFCI protected circuit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.