gas line grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

afwagner

Is it ever safe to bond a gas line to the disc. on the outside of a structure .
i have an inspector that wants it bonded for no other reason than " thats what i want".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here we are not required to provide a separate connection to the gas line. The gas line is bonded through the EGC in the circuit feeding the gas appliance. Nothing further is required.

And as far as having it on the outside, I would ask for a code reference. I'm sure he won't find one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
possibly a courtesy call

possibly a courtesy call

often times, in this area, the inspectors will ask for certain grounding/bonding connections to be made at specific loactions when possible (in the event of a gas water heater, the local inspectors prefer a hot/cold/gas bond at the water heater). Normally their request is honored as a courtesy as it aids them in locating the bonding means and often makes little difference to the electrician.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
augie47 said:
inspectors prefer a hot/cold/gas bond at the water heater.
Never understood bonding the hot water pipe. It expands then contracts over and over. How well does that clamp stay in contact with the pipe?

stickboy1375

chris kennedy said:
Never understood bonding the hot water pipe. It expands then contracts over and over. How well does that clamp stay in contact with the pipe?

How big do you think it expands? I've never seen one fall off... :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
stickboy1375 said:
How big do you think it expands? I've never seen one fall off... :grin:

Very good sir,

I have seen the hot water clamp get so loose that nothing more than a sudden burst of gravity will make it fall off.:D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
a WHAT ?

a WHAT ?

chris kennedy said:
Very good sir,

I have seen the hot water clamp get so loose that nothing more than a sudden burst of gravity will make it fall off.:D

what type of instrument would one use to measure the intensity of a "burst of gravity" ??:grin:

nakulak

250.52 B 1 prohibits using metal underground gas lines as grounding electrode. However, 250.104 B says that gas piping attached to a structure that is likely to become energized must be bonded.

We always bond the gas pipes at hvac units and generally (in our area) that is all that's required.
(I've spent time thinking about it and I'm still not sure its a good idea - it just seems that its an invitation for fault current or lightning to energize the gas pipe, but that's jmo !)

stickboy1375

nakulak said:
250.52 B 1 prohibits using metal underground gas lines as grounding electrode. However, 250.104 B says that gas piping attached to a structure that is likely to become energized must be bonded.

We always bond the gas pipes at hvac units and generally (in our area) that is all that's required.

So do I, but only by the EGC for the circuit that may energize the piping.

stickboy1375

Cavie said:
If you have flexible gas piping involved, you must bond with #6 cu as per manufacturers install instructions.

Not really, I didn't install the product, sounds like the guy that installed the product needs to hire someone to bond the #6 as per that products instructions...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
stalllingselectric said:
I have had an inspector ask me to bond tracpipe and Wardflex pipe , problem i had is finding a fitting and being careful to keep from collapsing the pipe

Do not bond directly to that type of pipe. Use a water pipe ground clamp to the brass fitting or the rigid gas line. It is should be #6 cu and near the point of entrance to the building.

Bonding all the piping systems as required reduces touch potential and if you are in a wet crawl space under a mobile home with an unbonded energized ____ line, your heirs won't really care how lightning affects it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Cavie said:
If you have flexible gas piping involved, you must bond with #6 cu as per manufacturers install instructions.

Not all manufacturers require #6. Some require the bond to be based on service size (Table 250.66).

ryan_618

infinity said:
Are you a Phrenologist?

menatwork.jpg

haskindm

nakulak said:

(I've spent time thinking about it and I'm still not sure its a good idea - it just seems that its an invitation for fault current or lightning to energize the gas pipe, but that's jmo !)

If the gas line is not bonded and becomes energized, how would the fault be cleared? Forget the fact that this conductive material (gas line) is filled with gas, and imagine it is a waterline. Would you want to bond to it to clear a fault? I believe it is much more dangerous to have an energized pipe with no way to clear the fault than the possibility that this pipe may carry current during a nearby lightning strike. I was called out to check a house one time where the owners were receiving a shock whenever they touched a faucet. Turns out that the Water Heater was faulted (fed with 2-wire romex) and the waterline was NOT bonded. The waterline was energized with no way to clear the fault. Owners became grounding conductors when touching the faucet! Not good....

Status
Not open for further replies.