gas line grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
haskindm said:
I was called out to check a house one time where the owners were receiving a shock whenever they touched a faucet. Turns out that the Water Heater was faulted (fed with 2-wire romex) and the waterline was NOT bonded.
And, had the water heater's supply (i.e., the circuit likely to energize the piping) inlcuded an EGC, the breaker would have tripped.

Cavie

stickboy1375 said:
Not really, I didn't install the product, sounds like the guy that installed the product needs to hire someone to bond the #6 as per that products instructions...

I don't care who does it or who pays for it. I do know who's inspection will not pass untill it is done.

Cavie

stalllingselectric said:
I have had an inspector ask me to bond tracpipe and Wardflex pipe , problem i had is finding a fitting and being careful to keep from collapsing the pipe
A standard pipe clamp in the connection nut or on the galv comming into the structure will do just fine.

stickboy1375

Cavie said:
I don't care who does it or who pays for it. I do know who's inspection will not pass untill it is done.

Who's? I already met code, so what code would you cite me on? ( I'm only referring to another trades product requirements)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
who ?

who ?

stickboy1375 said:
So we can use the NEC to inspect gas piping is installed to code?

No, but we can use the NEC to check 250.104(b):smile:

JohnJ0906

stickboy1375 said:
Who's? I already met code, so what code would you cite me on? ( I'm only referring to another trades product requirements)

Some jurisdictions around here have an official amendment added recently to require this bond for that gas flex. All above board.

Cavie

electricmanscott said:
How are you going to cite the gas piping installer? :-?

I don't. I tell the electrician it must be bonded. I don't care who does it. Fail the electric rough or final untill it is done. If he calls my boss, the answer will be "Get 'er done"

afwagner

gas line bonding

gas line bonding

strange, but , from all of the replyes i have read no one can give a good reason to bond or not to bond that is the queston, it seems that their are problems with both . so do we bond and hope their are no electric storms or not bond and hope theis are no faults.

Cavie

afwagner said:
strange, but , from all of the replyes i have read no one can give a good reason to bond or not to bond that is the queston, it seems that their are problems with both . so do we bond and hope their are no electric storms or not bond and hope theis are no faults.

The reason for the manufacturer install instructions is that they were having issues with lightning strikes punching holes in the pipe looking for a place to go. Bonding stops this problem.

electricmanscott

Cavie said:
The reason for the manufacturer install instructions is that they were having issues with lightning strikes punching holes in the pipe looking for a place to go. Bonding stops this problem.

I don't believe it for a second.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't imagine that ANY amount of bonding would help this stuff survive a direct strike.
I agree with that, but the other problem is with it bonded by any method any hot wire or engerized item that comes into contact with this product will cause a hole, leak and fire.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.