GE Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I like GE for service upgrades. Most of the upgrades around here involve older homes with AC cable homeruns. The galvanized cans on the GE panels IMO are better suited for grounding than the SQ D cans which have a heavy layer of paint. GE is also cheaper. As Chris said we've never had a problem with GE.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What do you guys think of GE panels? My supply house is switching to GE from Siemens.

I have used GE for years now and I am satisfied. I must say I have never had a problem, knock on wood, with the GE arc faults as some of the other mfg's have had.

peter d

I like GE panels (the aforementioned copper bus and galvanized can) but I'm not a fan of the breakers. A live cable cut with linesmans makes a much bigger bang and flash on a GE breaker than Square D or Murray. :D

electricalperson

the seimens bolt on panels are good. there cheap plug in panels are just like any other panel. the breakers have a play but the contacts remain tight. i think any panel is good i just would rather install a square d homeline or QO

guschash

Oh great! Looks like I will be drive to the other side of town to get Square D. I don't like putting in junk. I really didn't like GE anyways.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I like GE panels (the aforementioned copper bus and galvanized can) but I'm not a fan of the breakers. A live cable cut with linesmans makes a much bigger bang and flash on a GE breaker than Square D or Murray. :D

Maybe GE has a higher trip threshold. Many builders want the GE brand to feature it in the sales brochure. "200 amp General Electric service."
Homebuyers aren't going to recognize Square D or Murray or Siemans... but General Electric is still a household name.

Jim W in Tampa

Maybe GE has a higher trip threshold. Many builders want the GE brand to feature it in the sales brochure. "200 amp General Electric service."
Homebuyers aren't going to recognize Square D or Murray or Siemans... but General Electric is still a household name.

Yes they will recognize the name , but is that a plus or minus. They do not exactly hit the market as quality. Feel sorry for anyone that would let this make the differance in buying a home.

480sparky

Yes they will recognize the name , but is that a plus or minus. They do not exactly hit the market as quality. Feel sorry for anyone that would let this make the differance in buying a home.

Brand recognition is a big part of advertising. Which of the following film brands would you use?: Fuji, Konica, or Kodak?

I'll bet you picked Kodak. Not because it's better than the rest, but because their advertising budget is bigger than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.