GEC passing through panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Typically, I just buy a few of these lay in lugs, run typically a #4 Cu conductor from water main all the way to first panel and in/out of each panel. 2 parts, quick and easy. Now, it's against code all of a sudden (or is it ? )

I'd love to get to the bottom of this. I'd rather go back to my method for last 30 years.
Well those would be hard pressed to meet the requirement to connect the GEC to the grounded conductor per:

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).

Not sure how that would work with that lug, the method I am saying is unorthodox but compliant takes the unbroken GEC to each bus where the MBJ and grounded conductor are located, exactly as shown in the image I posted from 2014 Handbook by McPartland and Hartwell....nothing else.

Cletis

Well those would be hard pressed to meet the requirement to connect the GEC to the grounded conductor per:

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).

Not sure how that would work with that lug, the method I am saying is unorthodox but compliant takes the unbroken GEC to each bus where the MBJ and grounded conductor are located, exactly as shown in the image I posted from 2014 Handbook by McPartland and Hartwell....nothing else.

I have a bunch of these in truck at all times. I remove 3 screws from ground bar on neutral side and use this screw and lug so I would think this is ok ??

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
First you haven't stated if these are all service panels like on a multi-occupancy apartment building or a strip mall? or are we talking about running through sub panels and the raceway back to the main service? both will have different requirements that may make or break this method.

The main one that jumps out at me is the requirement in 250.64(E) that would require us to bond every raceway at each cabinet, junction box that encloses the GEC, also with the fact the GEC has to be continuous it would make the above very hard to do in some cases.

From lightning stand point I myself would not want to invite lightning to flashover to circuit conductors along the way, so in no way would I use this method.

Then I guess this one really scares ya...lol

"250.121 Use of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
An equipment grounding conductor shall not be used as a grounding electrode conductor.
Exception: A wire-type equipment grounding conductor installed in compliance with 250.6(A) and the applicable requirements for both the equipment grounding conductor and the grounding electrode conductor in Parts II, III, and VI of this article shall be permitted to serve as both an equipment grounding conductor and a grounding electrode conductor."

david

Well you all better let McPartland and Hartwell know their 2014 Handbook is wrong..lol...I posted their picture from their book. As for me, I find it unorthodox but compliant good news is I'm not an AHJ so have at it.

I reference this handbook often along with other sources and have much respect for those that try and help others understand the many subjects discussed in these resources. But as you know comments in these materials are agreed with or disagreed with often here.

kwired

Electron manager
Typically, I just buy a few of these lay in lugs, run typically a #4 Cu conductor from water main all the way to first panel and in/out of each panel. 2 parts, quick and easy. Now, it's against code all of a sudden (or is it ? )

I'd love to get to the bottom of this. I'd rather go back to my method for last 30 years.
I'd question whether or not those lugs were ever listed to be used in that manner with the neutral bus of the panel(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.