GEC question in Iwire's pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
To keep water out, which usually means a bit of duct seal or silicone on the top.

Considering they are a funnel pointed up the last thing I expect of them is to keep water out. :)

Of course on painted homes after a few paintings they are pretty well sealed.

peter d

Considering they are a funnel pointed up the last thing I expect of them is to keep water out. :)

Of course on painted homes after a few paintings they are pretty well sealed.

Which is exactly why you need to silicone the snot out of them for them to be effective. In fact, it was bad duct seal around a sill plate that caused water infiltration into my panel, which I had to replace.

stickboy1375

Which is exactly why you need to silicone the snot out of them for them to be effective. In fact, it was bad duct seal around a sill plate that caused water infiltration into my panel, which I had to replace.

Iwire is on top of that one, always drill the hole in the structure upwards. ;)

TOOL_5150

LOL @ the last 7 messages! Anyway, If you drill the hole upwards, and use a sillplate, Doesnt that make a very sharp bend in the SE cable?

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
LOL @ the last 7 messages! Anyway, If you drill the hole upwards, and use a sillplate, Doesnt that make a very sharp bend in the SE cable?

~Matt

I think so. Even drilling straight in makes a sharp bend. Like it or not a hole drilled on a downward angle is the best for the SE cable.

TOOL_5150

Yeah, I think drilling down, sealing the heck out of it with some 50 year silicone, then a silplate on that would be the best option.

~Matt

stars13bars2

So you are saying that the five gang meter base is listed for having an additional (what looks to be 200 amp) base tapped from it. Does this thing come with feed thru lugs or just how do you make this addition legally? I have had applications in the past where this setup would have worked and saved time and money, but I didn't think I could get it passed the inspector. I ended up ordering meter sections with tenant breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.