GEC question in Iwire's pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Seriously, how many jobs have you seen your own duct-seal dried out or got a call back for?

None, because I don't use it. ;)

After my own panel got wrecked from dried out duct seal, that's when I decided it's not worth using to seal around SE cable. That doesn't mean I never use it...I just don't use it for the top of the so-called watertight connector of the hole in the sill. Anywhere it's not going to be exposed to sunlight is another story though.

iwire

Staff member
Iwire is on top of that one, always drill the hole in the structure upwards. ;)

Anyway, If you drill the hole upwards, and use a sillplate, Doesnt that make a very sharp bend in the SE cable?

Just using a sill plate requires a VERY sharp bend.

I think so. Even drilling straight in makes a sharp bend. Like it or not a hole drilled on a downward angle is the best for the SE cable.

Guys, I have to say electricians sure over think things:grin:, have any of you seen or heard of an SE cable failure due to the bend at the sill?

OK I agree using a sill plate makes a sharp bend but not using a sill plate will make a sharp bend as well. The only way to meaningfully reduce that hard bend is to drill down into the home at a steep angle in and that is something I refuse to do.

When I say I drill 'up' that does not mean it has to be much of an angle, just some angle.

In the end I will say that in my area having sharp bends in SE cable where it enters the home is an accepted trade practice.

TOOL_5150

Guys, I have to say electricians sure over think things:grin:

This site has 45281 members, and each electrician usually has 2 or 3 different opinions on how to do something so that makes 135843 different possible opinions on how any 1 thing can be done.

We are quite a crazy bunch of people. :D

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SE cable failure? Not likely, but inspectors around here have been known to look for compliance with 338.24 which requires a bending radius of not less than 5X the diameter of the cable. That is nearly impossible with a hole drilled upward through the wall unless an unsightly gooseneck is left in the cable.

iwire

Staff member
This site has 45281 members, and each electrician usually has 2 or 3 different opinions on how to do something so that makes 135843 different possible opinions on how any 1 thing can be done.

I hear you and out of those 135,843 different possible opinions at least 95% of them will be good ones. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
but inspectors around here have been known to look for compliance with 338.24 which requires a bending radius of not less than 5X the diameter of the cable.

I would say it's imposable at most any reasonable angle without leaving a goose neck.

The bending radius is not changed by the amount of degrees of the bend, it is exceeded by how quick the bend is made. You can bend an SE only 22 degrees and still exceed the bending radius. :smile:

JohnJ0906

I also do not see any labeling of the meters themselves.

I think I see labels on the tops of the meter cans.

The label I was alluding to is for labeling which unit/location the meter is supplying - a utility requirement around us, and I am sure around most if not all utility jurisdictions.

I see small white labels on the top of the meter cans. That very well might be what you are referring to.

And, yes, that is certainly a requirement here as well.

edit to add: I like the multi-quote feature. :D

mark32

Dang you guys were on fire last night, thanks for the responses. Iwire, so your buddy likely used a bunch of split bolts or those multitap connectors for the GEC right? Personally I've never been involved with such an install so I'm unsure what you guys would typically do and what materials you would typically use.

Status
Not open for further replies.