GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Are we not talking about receptacles here ? A duplex receptacle outlet is 2 receptacles is it not.When we install one on a circuit even if it has no other outlets it is a circuit with 2 receptacles.Is that not a branch circuit ?

????

I have no idea what we are taking about in this thread any longer.

All I know is that twice in the past month have been posted CMP comments that clarify the intent of two code sections and still people argue what the CMP said was not what they meant. Its both funny and sad at the same time.

Mike03a3

LarryFine said:
I can't agree. Look at the definition again:

"Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment."

Nowhere is there either a requirement for a receptacle nor a requirement that it be a single, as opposed to a duplex, receptacle. It's the act of plugging in a second piece of equipment that changes the characteristics of the outlet.

Look at this definition:

Branch Circuit, General-Purpose. A branch circuit that supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and appliances

That says the duplex makes it a General-Purpose BC. Since this revolves around the SA exception allowing an IBC for the fridge, it better be a 20 amp circuit because it needs to be a SA circuit. At which point it's just another SA circuit and you can hang more recepticles.

The definition of the IBC also says "a branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment". Not intended to supply only one, but in fact is limited to only one.

Bob keeps saying the Panel statement allows more than one receptacle, but nobody has addressed the entire Panel statement. What about the part that says
"Panel Statement:
The definition proposed by the submitter is too restrictive.
A receptacle other than a single receptacle could be used and other means such as configuration or arrangement of the equipment could limit the application to a single utilization equipment
"

So, the sump pump, which requires two receptacles, could be on an IBC. But you can't just plop down another receptacle and still call it an IBC if that receptacle isn't somehow limited to serving the single utilization equipment. If you could, then why can't you hang ten receptacles on an IBC? One in every room?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
2- 165 - (210-52(b)(1) Exception No. 2): Reject
SUBMITTER: Dan Leaf, Palmdale, CA
RECOMMENDATION: Revise to read as follows:
Exception No. 2: - A single receptacle for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.
SUBSTANTIATION: Editorial. An individual branch circuit (per definition) implies a single receptacle. The receptacle outlet (per definition) may contain several receptacles. A duplex receptacle at the edge of and above a countertop supplied by a small appliance circuit is not prohibited from supplying a refrigerator. The exception permits a 15 ampere circuit for such receptacle, with no load calculation required.
PANEL ACTION: Reject.
PANEL STATEMENT: The panel has attempted to be reasonable with the exception and not require a single receptacle be used. The panel notes that the exception permits an additional circuit to supply the refrigerator. It is recognized that frequently the receptacle is indeed located behind the refrigerator making the single receptacle requirement overly burdensome. Should the outlet be close to or above the countertop, it would not count as the required countertop outlet by 210-52(c) and another outlet would be required to be installed and connected to the small appliance branch circuit.
NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE: 12
VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 12

Mike03a3

(withdrawn in view of Don's posting.)

I surrender. We can now hang all the recepticles we want on an IBC. I'm overwhelmed by the logic of it all.

Last edited:

jshaw

tallgirl said:
Code reference was off by one exception. It should have been exception #1 instead of #2.

The exception says that a clock doesn't count against the "only one outlet" requirement. Which says, to me, that an IBC for a fridge can have an extra outlet for a clock and still be an IBC.

And the answer to #2 is apparently a little of both. :cool:

The exception you are quoting is for the small appliance circuit, which is a 20amp circuit that allows no other outlets. The individual 15 amp branch circuit allowed for refrigeration equipment is a completely separate issue.

If you are putting the fridge on the 20 amp small appliance circuit, the clock exception can be applied. If you put the fridge on a 15 amp individual branch circuit, the exception does not apply.

Sorry if this has already been brought up... I think I've read the entire thread but, whew, I can't swear to it.

I thought someone could size a circuit for an individual (specific) load, then put receptacles in differant locations so the equiptment could be moved and used where needed depending on the particulars of the situation.

I was thinking of a welder but I would think other equiptment should qualify for this also.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Flyer, yes, that's exactly what we're discussing here. That's the key to the panel's statement that was highlighted above. The circuit you're speaking of could/would be a dedicated circuit despite the number of receptacles.

Mike, I agree with your confusion. :)

When you look at the definition you posted, it naturally leads to a certain conclusion. Perhaps, in coming cycles, the general purpose branch circuit definition will be changed to jive with the current IBC definition. They do contradict each other, in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.