GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcasas

The refrigerator is approx. 3' from the kitchen sink it is plugged in to a duplex recpt. that is not readily accessible, is the recpt. required to be a GFCI?

celtic

mcasas said:
The refrigerator is approx. 3' from the kitchen sink it is plugged in to a duplex recpt. that is not readily accessible, is the recpt. required to be a GFCI?
No.
Only recept that serve the countertop recepts are required to be GFCI protected.
210.8(A)(6).

This is, of course, assuming we are talking about a dwelling unit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
wireman3736 said:
This could be one of those touchy feely questions, I have heard of inspectors in some areas making electricians use a single receptacle behind the fridge.

Why? Are on a 15 amp circuit?

iwire

Staff member
wireman3736 said:
This could be one of those touchy feely questions, I have heard of inspectors in some areas making electricians use a single receptacle behind the fridge.

IMO there is no NEC requirement that the inspector could cite to force the use of a single receptacle in a kitchen.

This includes a refrigerator supplied with a 15 amp individual branch circuit.

The exception for removing the refrigeration from the small appliance branch circuit requires the fridge to be installed on an Individual Branch Circuit. The definition of individual branch circuit says it can supply only one utilization equipment. Therefore if the fridge is taken off of the small appliance branch circuit, a single receptacle is required.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
The exception for removing the refrigeration from the small appliance branch circuit requires the fridge to be installed on an Individual Branch Circuit. The definition of individual branch circuit says it can supply only one utilization equipment. Therefore if the fridge is taken off of the small appliance branch circuit, a single receptacle is required.

Yes the definition is that an individual branch circuit can only supply one utilization equipment.

There is no limitation of the number of receptacles on an individual branch circuit.:)

I know you think I am 'streaching the code' but IMO it is you that is adding requirements not contained in the NEC.

IMO the CMP members chose the words in the definition for a specific reason.

If they had meant what you feel they mean they would have said outlets in place of utilization equipment in the definition.

Are you suggesting the CMP members are unaware of how we in the field will push the code to the letter and have every right to?

From Bob
"Are you suggesting the CMP members are unaware of how we in the field will push the code to the letter and have every right to?"

The only way I could properly answer that question would be, to be on a CMP or to ask all of the CMPs what they think.
Who really knows what some of the CMP members really know, remember not all of the CMP members are people who work in the field. Some have an agenda for the part of the industry they are working for. Just take a look at the proposal Alan Manche from Square D proposed on requiring AFCI for all branch circuits in a dwelling....

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Be large said:
Who really knows what some of the CMP members really know, remember not all of the CMP members are people who work in the field.

Well that is true but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they know the difference between an outlet and utilization equipment.

Until the present definition of individual branch circuit is changed there is no limit to the number of receptacles on that circuit.

Read it using Charlie's rules and you can not help but come to the same conclusion.

Don't let the fact that you have looked at this particular requirement a certain way for years cloud your ability to read the section as you have never seen it before.:)

JMO, Bob

From Bob

"Don't let the fact that you have looked at this particular requirement a certain way for years cloud your ability to read the section as you have never seen it before.

JMO, Bob"

That statement is something I try to do everyday, it is always in my mind. I will think about that and read it again... but like you, some of us mules are hard to sway.;-)

I use Charlie's writing in every one of my classes. Thanks Charlie!!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
refrig outlet

refrig outlet

I'm sure I';ll catch flack, since a view a lot of these as gray areas, but I look at it differently. IMHO, since the avereage homeowner knows nothing of 15 amp, 20 amp, individual circuits etc., I approach it from the "serve countertop surfaces" point of view. If that "refrigerator" outlet is at countertop height and only a few inches behind the fridge , I request a simplex outlet.

dnem

iwire said:
Yes the definition is that an individual branch circuit can only supply one utilization equipment.

There is no limitation of the number of receptacles on an individual branch circuit.:)

I know you think I am 'streaching the code' but IMO it is you that is adding requirements not contained in the NEC.

IMO the CMP members chose the words in the definition for a specific reason.

If they had meant what you feel they mean they would have said outlets in place of utilization equipment in the definition.

Are you suggesting the CMP members are unaware of how we in the field will push the code to the letter and have every right to?

I have to disagree with your conclusion, Bob.
You're assuming that they chose the words "one utilization equipment" because they didn't intend to limit the number of receptacles.

If you take the example of a sump pump with a battery backup, the battery backup unit has a separate cord but the unit is an intrical part of the whole sump pump unit. The sump pump and the battery backup unit together are "one utilization equipment" with 2 connection cords and can be put on a duplex that would still be considered an individual branch circuit.

But 2 unrelated pieces of equipment couldn't be considered "one utilization equipment" so couldn't be supplied by a duplex if each was required to be on an individual branch circuit.

David

iwire

Staff member
David The words are not in the NEC to support your conclusion.

It may seem logical to you and Pierre but that is not relevant.

The section simply requires the circuit to supply one unit.

It really is that simple. :)

dnem

mcasas said:

The garage GFCI rule 210.8(A)(2) has not readily accessible x1 and dedicated appliance x2 exceptions.
The basement GFCI rule 210.8(A)(5) has not readily accessible x1 and dedicated appliance x2 exceptions.
But the sink GFCI rule 210.8(A)(7) has no exceptions. Within 6 feet, you have to have it [which commonly comes up with the washing machine plug].

In your example, 210.8(A)(7) does not apply.
210.8(A)(7) lists laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks only which basically means any sink except the kitchen. For the kitchen, you have to go to 210.8(A)(6) where it says that GFCI is needed only for those plugs that serve the countertop.

David

dnem

iwire said:
David The words are not in the NEC to support your conclusion.

It may seem logical to you and Pierre but that is not relevant.

The section simply requires the circuit to supply one unit.

It really is that simple. :)

What is the definition of "one unit" ?

I think my earlier point stands as correct.

iwire

Staff member
dnem said:
What is the definition of "one unit" ?

I think my earlier point stands as correct.

Well I was tired of typing utilization equipment. :)

Here is what the words in the NEC say.

Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes.

A receptacle is not Utilization Equipment no matter how you slice it.

That being the case you can have an individual branch circuit that has an infinite number of receptacles as long as it supplies only one Utilization Equipment at any given time.

by David
The sump pump and the battery backup unit together are "one utilization equipment" with 2 connection cords and can be put on a duplex that would still be considered an individual branch circuit.

Now that is IMO a direct violation as even thought the units are intended to work together it is two pieces of utilization equipment.

1) A charger

2) A pump.

If they came packaged together with one cord I would agree with you.

But I bet both units have individual UL listings to stand alone.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob, I can't disagree with your interpretation of the words in the NEC, especially since I'm the one who wrote "Charlie's Rule" in the first place. But something is not quite right here. Perhaps that means that the code was not written well, and that a clarification is needed. I suspect that the intent was that the "individual branch circuit" mentioned in the exception to 250.52(B)(1) should supply only a simplex receptacle. You correctly point out that that is not what the words say. Nevertheless, I believe that is the requirement the CMP meant to impose.

Speaking philosophically, and for the moment discounting the possibility of DIY work, I believe that a homeowner can never, NEVER create a code violation by virtue of using electrical appliances and equipment. Let's suppose that I design the home's electrical system, Bob installs it, and Larry inspects it; then Joe and Jane Homeowner move in. Lets suppose further that they possess no tools, and would not know how to use them anyway. All they do is buy stuff at stores, and plug the plugs into the places where we have put things that can accept plugs. I submit that no matter what they buy and what or where they try to plug things in, nothing they can do can create a code violation. My reasoning is that 90.2(A) says that the NEC covers the installation of "electrical stuff," but it says nothing about the homeowner's use of the installation. If a violation is present, it means that the error was made by the designer, or the installer, or the inspector, or all of us. If I am wrong here, if the code is not written in this way, then I still think that it should be written in this way.

Here's my point. Lets talk about a 15 amp circuit supplying the fridge. As the code is written and as you have pointed out, you could put any number of duplex receptacles on that circuit, plug only one item in, and call it an "individual branch circuit." But then Jane Homeowner plugs in a second item, and now you have a violation. That should not be possible. The electrical distribution system should be designed and constructed in such a way as to make it possible for Jane to plug in anything she wants, and for there to be no resulting violation.

I conclude that if you have a 15 amp branch circuit supplying the fridge via a duplex receptacle located behind the fridge, and if an Inspector cites this as a violation of 210.52(B)(1), then I cannot call the Inspector wrong.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Now referring to David's example of the sump pump and battery backup:
iwire said:
If they came packaged together with one cord I would agree with you.
My understanding of the item David described is that the pump and the battery backup are mounted on a common "skid" (if that word might be applied here). In other words, you cannot pick up one without also picking up the other. If that is the case, I would call it a single item of utilization equipment, despite the item's having two attachment cords and plugs. You will note that the number of things that have to be plugged in, in order for an item of "utilization equipment" to function, is not limited by the words in the Article 100 definition of "utilization equipment."

M. D.

An idividual branch can only supply one utilization equipment unless there is a referigerator listed with two attachment plugs it can only have one receptacal outlet

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

A duplex receptacal has two outlets for more than one utilization equipment. It is no longer an individual branch circuit if the frige has only one attachment plug

Remember it is the equipment being served by the individual branch circuit and the circuit can only sreve one equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.