GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

The outlet (s) on an Individual branch circuit serve a utilization equipment,.... one piece .
If all that is required by the equipment is one outlet, whether a receptacle outlet or any other type of point at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment one is all that can be provided for by definition.

A receptacle outlet's only function is to supply current to utilization equipment.

There is no difference between adding a receptacle which does not serve to provide current to a hard wired utilization equipment on an IBC and having a duplex receptacle serve a piece of equipment that only requires one receptcle outlet.When this happens the circuit is no longer an Individual branch circuit by definition.....IMO

M. D.

Larry, if the dishwasher is required to be on an individual branch circuit and requires only one outlet,... then yes .

dnem

There seems to be several concepts being talked about at the same time here. I think it would be helpful to separate the ideas and define the differences between them.
1) Frig on a GFCI
2) Frig on a 12gauge 20amp circuit
3) Frig on a 14gauge 15amp circuit

For #1, Frig on a GFCI

wireman3736 said:
When I said that inspectors were requiring a single receptacle for the fridge I didn't add the info I should have, just for clarification this had nothing to do with a dedicated circuit.

Yes, it would be best to treat the dedicated circuit concept separately.

If a duplex is used be it off of the small appliance circuit or a so called dedicated circuit (thats another argument) for the fridge it must be gfci protected or a single receptacle must be used. The reason for the ahj making this judgement is because even though it's behind the fridge it is still accessible to be used on the countertop as most fridges are on wheels. If not to serve the counter top then what else would the extra receptacle on this duplex be used for?

I don't question that frig plugs sometimes get used for other things that may be placed on the counter. But I also don't question that the regular nonGFCI room plug closest to the end of the kitchen counter also sometimes gets used for things that may be placed on the counter. And noone ever insists that wall plugs serving a room area next to the counter edge are required to be GFCI.

How a receptacle may be used is not the primary question. What the code says is the primary question. 210.52(C) deals with kitchen countertop receptacles. 210.8(A)(6) states that these plugs must be GFCI. 210.52(C)(5) specifies plug location and it clearly says that "appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets." Anyone that has seen a kitchen counter layout wouldn't dispute that there is a dedicated space designed for the frig. Therefore the frig plug is excluded from the GFCI requirement.

Whether or not the frig is on a single receptacle has nothing to do with whether or not the frig is required to be on a GFCI. This single or GFCI concept is being borrowed from garages 210.8(A)(2)x2 and basements 210.8(A)(5)x2 but the concept doesn't apply to the refrigerator because there isn't an exception in 210.8(A)(6).

For #2, Frig on a 12gauge 20amp circuit

Even tho 210.52(B)(1)x2 ends with the words "or greater", 210.52(B)(1) ends by saying that a small appliance circuit can serve "receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment." So if the circuit is 12gauge 20amp and the plug is a duplex, then the circuit is a small appliance circuit and not a individual branch circuit even if that duplex is the only plug on the circuit.

For #3, Frig on a 14gauge 15amp circuit

The individual branch circuit concept comes up 210.52(B)(1)x2 because this is the only time a kitchen frig can be put on a 15amp circuit.

If a frig can be on a duplex that is on a 20amp small appliance circuit, is it necessary to require a single plug if it's on a 15amp individual branch circuit ? If the inspector sees the frig on a duplex does he make a note to check the panel schedule for a 15amp circuit listed as "frig" ? My guess is that most inspectors are keeping track of hundreds of other things on a final inspection and that note isn't very high on the scale of importance to remember.

If an inspector makes that call on the 15amp supplied frig, then I don't think there's an option other than to put the single in. I just don't imagine that it is commonly an issue.

David

wireman3736

David, After reading your reply it's hard to disagree with anything you said, As usual the call comes back to the AHJ and how they interpit the intent of the code as far as requiring a duplex behind the fridg to be gfci protected, I can agree with both sides on this one but personally I would do what ever was needed to not have to gfci protect the fridg, As far as the individual circuit for the fridg I couldn't have explaned it any better, those that can't understand after reading your reply probably never will. But then again thats just our opinion.:confused:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
dnem said:
For #1, Frig on a GFCI

Whether or not the frig is on a single receptacle has nothing to do with whether or not the frig is required to be on a GFCI. This single or GFCI concept is being borrowed from garages 210.8(A)(2)x2 and basements 210.8(A)(5)x2 but the concept doesn't apply to the refrigerator because there isn't an exception in 210.8(A)(6).
Agreed.

For #2, Frig on a 12gauge 20amp circuit

Even tho 210.52(B)(1)x2 ends with the words "or greater", 210.52(B)(1) ends by saying that a small appliance circuit can serve "receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment." So if the circuit is 12gauge 20amp and the plug is a duplex, then the circuit is a small appliance circuit and not a individual branch circuit even if that duplex is the only plug on the circuit.
The term "receptacle outlet" makes no distinction about the number of receptacles at any outlet. A receptacle outlet is a box, not a device.

Therefore, a receptacle outlet may contain a duplex receptacle and may be on an individual branch circuit serving a refrigerator, IMO.

This issue has been addressed on the local level in Longmont, CO. They simply require single receptacles for everything; hoods, micros, disposals, dishwashers, fridges, washers, you name it. (Actually, they are named, and one of the items I mentioned isn't on it.)

If the NFPA was concerned with getting a single receptacle behind a fridge, the wording would reflect that. My confidence in the writing skills of CMP-2 is very low at times :D , but given the wording of this section, I believe duplexes are just fine behind a fridge. :)

dnem

dlhoule said:
georgestolz said:
but given the wording of this section, I believe duplexes are just fine behind a fridge. :)

George, would you feel the same if that were a quadplex?

Once again, the question needs to be more specific.
Is the quadplex on a 15 or 20amp circuit ?

If you were installing a small appliance circuit on the kitchen countertop and wanted to extend it into the Dinette or Dining room, would you be allowed by code to do that ?
I think everyone will answer, yes.
When you extend that circuit into the Dining room, are you required to GFCI protect the Dining room plugs ?
I think everyone will answer, no.
In that extension of the circuit into the Dining room, can you add a quadplex plug ?

Are you allowed to extend the small appliance circuit from the kitchen countertop to also include the frig plug ?
Therefore, are any of the other answers to questions asked about the Dining room any different with the frig ?
Dining room not on GFCI, frig not on GFCI.
Dining room with a quadplex, frig with a quadplex.

There's no GFCI requirement for anything off of the countertop.
There's no GFCI or single option for the kitchen.
Quads are allowed on small appliance circuits.

BUT

If you're asking about a frig plug on a 15amp circuit, you're now dealing with the 210.52(B)(1)x2 individual branch circuit wording.

It may not seem very logical to allow a quad on a frig if it's on a 20amp circuit but limit it to a single receptacle if it's on a 15amp circuit, but we're not primarily trying to establish logic here. I'm not saying logic isn't important because it's critical when making an interpretative call on an ambiguous requirement. But we're first and foremost trying to establish what the code actually says and then would need to take it a step further if the conclusion isn't clear and needs interpretating.

David

wireman3736

But we're first and foremost trying to establish what the code actually says and then would need to take it a step further if the conclusion isn't clear and needs interpretating.

David[/QUOTE]

This guy's good, :D But again it all depends on how the AHJ interpits the code as far as gfci protection for that extra plug is concearned, If he feels that it's going to be used as a counter top receptacle then I can't disagree with him if he's just thinking about safety to the homeowner, isn't that what the code is all about, safety.
If we ask the question - Is the NFPA 70 open to different interpitations?
I think everyone will answer, YES.
Does the AHJ always interpit the NFPA 70 correctly?
I think everyone will answer, NO.
Is this an enjoyable forum?
I think everyone will answer, YES, YES, YES :D :D :D

M. D.

FUN, FUN, FUN, Like a headache,... only kidding.
I bet If we were to get to know one another we would find we are much alike.

Now back to it; George, is it because the frige occupies the space that your good with a duplex on an IBC.

In other words would a single receptacle outlet behind the frige and a single receptacle in a living room , in addition to those required, be good with you on an IBC??

iwire

Staff member
This post sure has wondered around. :D

I still maintain the NEC / CMP intends that an individual branch circuit can supply any number of receptacles.

George posted some info here that was interesting.

Substantiation:
This section has nothing to do with safety and is virtually unenforceable when the load is portable or transient, or connected after inspection. In Proposal 1-64 of the 1994 ROP, the panel rejected the proposal to define an individual circuit as one supplying a single receptacle inferring that a circuit supplying a duplex receptacle with only one equipment plugged in is an individual circuit. If this is the intent, the receptacle can supply any load for which it is rated. Receptacles are evaluated for their full ratings. There are listed appliances with rated current over 12 amperes with factory equipped 15 ampere plugs with no instructions to utilize an individual circuit, such as hair dryers, central vacuums, pressure water sprayers, etc. implying the testing agency found no hazard with a multiple receptacle circuit.​

Now this is why I am looking for the original 1994 ROP for proposal 1-64.

It seems that ROP could clear this whole issue up. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Sorry, Bob.
M. D. said:
Now back to it; George, is it because the frige occupies the space that your good with a duplex on an IBC.
The fact that the receptacle outlet is blocked from ready access by the fridge itself is immaterial, IMO.

210.52(B)(1) says that receptacle outlets installed for refrigeration equipment shall be fed from the SABC's (unless on an IBC).

If the receptacle outlet houses a single, duplex, quad, or four-gang box full of triplex receptacles and is installed to power the fridge, then it's not installed to serve the countertop. GFCI not required. SABC supply to the receptacle outlet is required, unless the receptacle outlet (the box full of receptacles) is powered per exception 2.

IMO. :)
In other words would a single receptacle outlet behind the frige and a single receptacle in a living room , in addition to those required, be good with you on an IBC??
I don't understand this question, sorry.

M. D.

George , On the individual branch circuit serving the fridge would you except a couple more receptacle outlets in the living room on the same IBC?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I get your point now.

My answer would be no, because those are general purpose receptacles.

So, yes, I would consider the are behind the fridge to be dedicated to the fridge.

M. D.

Someone get me a fork ,... got me humble pie to eat !!

2- 165 - (210-52(b)(1) Exception No. 2): Reject
SUBMITTER: Dan Leaf, Palmdale, CA
RECOMMENDATION: Revise to read as follows:
Exception No. 2: - A single receptacle for
refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an
individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.
SUBSTANTIATION: Editorial. An individual branch circuit (per
definition) implies a single receptacle. The receptacle outlet (per
definition) may contain several receptacles. A duplex receptacle at
the edge of and above a countertop supplied by a small appliance
circuit is not prohibited from supplying a refrigerator. The
exception permits a 15 ampere circuit for such receptacle, with no
load calculation required.
PANEL ACTION: Reject.
PANEL STATEMENT: The panel has attempted to be reasonable
with the exception and not require a single receptacle be used.
The panel notes that the exception permits an additional circuit
to supply the refrigerator. It is recognized that frequently the
receptacle is indeed located behind the refrigerator making the
single receptacle requirement overly burdensome. Should the
outlet be close to or above the countertop, it would not count as
the required countertop outlet by 210-52(c) and another outlet
would be required to be installed and connected to the small
appliance branch circuit.
NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE: 12
VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 12

It almost hurts to learn sometimes :)

dnem

M. D. said:
The panel notes that the exception permits an additional circuit
to supply the refrigerator. It is recognized that frequently the
receptacle is indeed located behind the refrigerator making the
single receptacle requirement overly burdensome. Should the
outlet be close to or above the countertop, it would not count as
the required countertop outlet by 210-52(c) and another outlet
would be required to be installed and connected to the small
appliance branch circuit.
NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE: 12
VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 12

It almost hurts to learn sometimes :)

MD,
What exactly do you see in the panel statement that contradicts something that you said before ?

iwire

Staff member
dnem said:
MD,
What exactly do you see in the panel statement that contradicts something that you said before ?

I can't speak for M.D. but what I see is that the CMP knows full well that the individual branch circuit definition allows multiple receptacles on the circuit as long as only one piece of utilization equipment is supplied.

Here is the exception they are talking about.

210.52(B)(1)Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Notice the exception requires an individual branch circuit but the CMP still feels a single receptacle is not required.

Bob

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
charlie b said:
Now referring to David's example of the sump pump and battery backup:

My understanding of the item David described is that the pump and the battery backup are mounted on a common "skid" (if that word might be applied here).

"Skid" works for me.:)

That is also what I meant when I said 'packaged together' I was not talking about for shipping but a permanent joining.

But we have to be careful here as many items are meant to work hand in hand with each other but are IMO more than one piece of utilization equipment.

For example my home entertainment center consists of 5 separate units each with it's own cord but some units can not work without each other.

Is it one piece of utilization equipment or 5?

The receiver and sub woofer came together in the box each with their own cord.

One unit or two?

Bob

Last edited:

M. D.

M. D. said:
This mostly, they recognize that the receptacle outlet might even be at counter top level ,even if it is directly over the counter top, it still would be o.k. ,it would not satisfy 210.52(3) and a recetacle outlet on the sabc may be required next to it, but they took all of this into consideration.

I think it may have been George who first posted the definition of Receptacle outlet found in the exception. The panel is well aware of the definiton as being one or more receptacles being installed at an outlet.

It took a long time to find that ROP ,I know some think it is not very important , but I'm happy to have this info .

Thanks to all of you who make me think.

Status
Not open for further replies.