GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The wall behind the fridge is not subject to 210.52(A) any more than the space for the dishwasher, sink, trash compactor, beverage cooler, or any other appliance.

There's no NEC requirement to place a recep. for the fridge behind it, although it's standard practice to do so. In doing so, it does not serve the c'top, so it doesn't require GFCI protection. If, however, the recep for the fridge does end up over a c'top, then it would be considered as serving that c'top and is required to be GFCI'd.

Try a gander at 210.52(A)(5).

BTW, you may not spend too much time in a hallway, but it is habitable space.

Correct no requirement to put the recpt. behind the frig. Just that the wall space must have one.

Now you will really like this. One behind the stove required.

Again read habitable: http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_2_sec002.htm?bu=OH-P-2005-000004

480sparky

Uh, why require the receptacle when the placement of the fridge renders it inaccesible and therefore not considered one requiered?

210.52(A)(5)......... Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by ...........appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.

So if I put one back there, it does not meet the requirements of 210.52(A), so........ now what? Put another one in? It will not meet the requirements either..........

Jim W in Tampa

Correct no requirement to put the recpt. behind the frig. Just that the wall space must have one.

Now you will really like this. One behind the stove required.

Again read habitable: http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_2_sec002.htm?bu=OH-P-2005-000004

Yes recept for frig required but does not say where.
As to it being wall space i think it is exempt because it is an item such as fireplaces.
If i have a duplex on counter and plug the frig in i think i met the code. Not likely to see this with exception of slum lord dwellings but we are picking NEC apart for what it says not what it intended to say. Being an inspector could be a headache i am sure.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Uh, why require the receptacle when the placement of the fridge renders it inaccesible and therefore not considered one requiered?

So if I put one back there, it does not meet the requirements of 210.52(A), so........ now what? Put another one in? It will not meet the requirements either..........

I am using the handbook and do not have the NEC with me.

I have no 210.52(A)(4 or 5) in the handbook.

Would you post those sections please.

480sparky

I am using the handbook and do not have the NEC with me.

I have no 210.52(A)(4 or 5) in the handbook.

Would you post those sections please.

I already did.

210.52(A)(5)......... Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by ...........appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My bad. 210.52(C)(5).

I was starting to worry that the handbook was missing something.

(C) is for countertops.

If you look at Exhibit 210.26 it shows you how to 'feed' the 'required' outlets.

There are other options to feed these circuits but I am just showing you the required outlets.

Jim W in Tampa

I was starting to worry that the handbook was missing something.

(C) is for countertops.

If you look at Exhibit 210.26 it shows you how to 'feed' the 'required' outlets.

There are other options to feed these circuits but I am just showing you the required outlets.

I do hope you know that the handbook is not the NEC and is nothing more than an opinion.

480sparky

You claim a 120v receptacle is required behind a fridge because there's 24" of wall space.

I have seen sinks that are free-standing, requiring no cabinet/c'top. Is a receptacle required in the sink space"

If you have a standard slide-in electric range that requires a 120/240v 4-wire circuit, do you also install a 120v receptacle in the same space?

Most dishwashers are 24" wide.... does everyone install a receptacle in the DW space in order to comply with 210.52(A)(2)(1)?

Trash compactors usually aren't 24" spaces, but there's other appliances that are. Beverage coolers, for one.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You claim a 120v receptacle is required behind a fridge because there's 24" of wall space.

I have seen sinks that are free-standing, requiring no cabinet/c'top. Is a receptacle required in the sink space"

If you have a standard slide-in electric range that requires a 120/240v 4-wire circuit, do you also install a 120v receptacle in the same space?

Most dishwashers are 24" wide.... does everyone install a receptacle in the DW space in order to comply with 210.52(A)(2)(1)?

Trash compactors usually aren't 24" spaces, but there's other appliances that are. Beverage coolers, for one.

1) Yes, 210.52(A)(2)(1)
2) Yes, I see no exception for that wall space (I do not see that being enforced)
3) Yes, only exceptions are for built-ins
4) Not required 'under' countertops
5) Maybe

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What do countertops have to do with it? Where's that exception?

A 24" wall space needs a recep.... c'top or not.

No exception just that there is no requirement to install them below countertops.

210.52(C)(1 & 5)

We are still installing recpts for wall space. Placement is described differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.