GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
GFCI ques.

GFCI ques.

I think the host is wrong unless per Art.210.8(B) (5) Sinks - where the receptacle is installed within1.8m (6ft) of the outside edge of the sink.
But i think that pertains to rec. on a counter top.
I would think that the motor on the unit has either a short in the windings or the compressor is locked up and tripping the O.C.P but thats just a guess,but i still don't think the host was correct about the G.F.C.I

Jim W in Tampa

TrainWreckHwy56aerial3.jpg

LOL exactly

Jim W in Tampa

Im wondering why they started to require gfci on a window a/c unit but not on a frig, they claim the compressor starts to go bad current will leak to ground. the gfci comes on the cord now. A frig or freezer in unfinished basement requires gfci, but that is one code I violate on my own house, a freezer full of rotten food is not a good thing. And it will happen sooner or later with gfci.

Not exactly, the gfi is required for the receptacle , has nothing to do with it being a frig

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I was listening to one of those home improvement shows and a question was about the residential refrigerator tripping the circuit breaker. The host said that in the 2008 code, GFCI protection was required. Am I missing something?

No. Only GFCI'd receptacles that are required in the kitchen are the ones serving the coutertop. A fridge recpt. does not serve a countertop.

The fridge circuit may also serve the counter top.

If the fridge is within 6' of a sink, I think it needs it.

Not exactly, the gfi is required for the receptacle , has nothing to do with it being a frig

The GFCI is required for personnel protection not the recpt. 210.8(A).

480sparky

If the fridge is plugged into a recep that serves the c'top, it must be GFCI-protected. 99% of the fridges I see have a recep behind them that do not serve the c'top.... No GFCI protection required.

Jim W in Tampa

If the fridge is plugged into a recep that serves the c'top, it must be GFCI-protected. 99% of the fridges I see have a recep behind them that do not serve the c'top.... No GFCI protection required.

Give them a few more years and it will be required. The more they sell the richer they get.
30 years ago life was easy for electricians

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't the wall space more than 2'?

210.52(A)(2)
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings

I think the wall space ends at the edge of an appliance like a refrigerator or range. The space behind the appliance is not habitable space so 210.52 does not require a receptacle there. It is not prohibited to put one there either it is just not required.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
210.52(A)(2)

I think the wall space ends at the edge of an appliance like a refrigerator or range. The space behind the appliance is not habitable space so 210.52 does not require a receptacle there. It is not prohibited to put one there either it is just not required.

I do not read "habitable" there. But:
"HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces."

Halls are not habitable but we install recpts. in those areas when required.

Did you read 210.52(A)?

480sparky

The wall behind the fridge is not subject to 210.52(A) any more than the space for the dishwasher, sink, trash compactor, beverage cooler, or any other appliance.

There's no NEC requirement to place a recep. for the fridge behind it, although it's standard practice to do so. In doing so, it does not serve the c'top, so it doesn't require GFCI protection. If, however, the recep for the fridge does end up over a c'top, then it would be considered as serving that c'top and is required to be GFCI'd.

Try a gander at 210.52(A)(5).

BTW, you may not spend too much time in a hallway, but it is habitable space.

Status
Not open for further replies.