Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
19 more posts and another really lame subject will break 100. :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

Why would the cost of a few hundred wire nuts be an issue on a house that you bid for in the thousands. We are talking pennies differance between red and green or crimps. The savings are easily gone if you lose any time. We are talking hourly dollars divided by minutes. If one method over the other even cost you 30 seconds you already lost. Houses are all about speed.
Anyone have recent cost of 500 red or 500 green

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Why would the cost of a few hundred wire nuts be an issue on a house that you bid for in the thousands. We are talking pennies differance between red and green or crimps. The savings are easily gone if you lose any time. We are talking hourly dollars divided by minutes. If one method over the other even cost you 30 seconds you already lost. Houses are all about speed.

I use Wagos and they are very fast, not cheap but they make it up in labor, and the wires stay straight and neat in the box.

6 more posts to go and we all lose 5 points off our IQ's.

kwired

Electron manager

The reds are so much less than the greens that it is worth the time to drill out the ends and paint them:grin:

jetlag

Thanks jim

Thanks jim

It's not the money , I just like to invent things, I dont wire new houses any more , I only do service calls . I am wiring a new house but it is my own . I am really a crimp man because of neat way they back in the back of the box . I wouldnt use the greenies all that much if they were free :)

jetlag

I paint my own greenies because an ahj flagged me for red nuts on the EGC one time here , I do it so I can smile when he passes my home made greenies, my next thing is to paint some crimps green , and see what he does, I'll say oh yea they sell those now from greenlee

jumper

will some one post photo of wagos, I dont even know what that is :-?

Sure, here ya go

quick_connectors.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

Who would have ever guessed this would have so many posts, blame Jim in tampa , he went back and pulled it back up :grin:

Thats my job, gotta keep them going.

I do question the idea of wagos. Back about 15 or so years ago our duplex receptacles had that type of connections and then they said #12 is not ok as a back stab. Now we use same idea and call it a wago. Give it time and they will likely have issues too. I am from the old school of strip it.twist it, put a wire nut on it. You can see your work, easy to undo, and almost never a problem. To each his own. Only look at the bottom line. What ever works best for you money and time wise. If service work i do not want to go fast.

jetlag

Thats my job, gotta keep them going.

I do question the idea of wagos. Back about 15 or so years ago our duplex receptacles had that type of connections and then they said #12 is not ok as a back stab. Now we use same idea and call it a wago. Give it time and they will likely have issues too. I am from the old school of strip it.twist it, put a wire nut on it. You can see your work, easy to undo, and almost never a problem. To each his own. Only look at the bottom line. What ever works best for you money and time wise. If service work i do not want to go fast.

Im with you jim I never trusted the push in's . It is a small contact area on the spring and it does not put much pressure on the opposite side. I would never fed a recep that way , if they come on a light fixure I can see it on a lighting load , maybe

Jim W in Tampa

Im with you jim I never trusted the push in's . It is a small contact area on the spring and it does not put much pressure on the opposite side. I would never fed a recep that way , if they come on a light fixure I can see it on a lighting load , maybe

Legal or not it is very costly to you if even 1 fails and cost you a call back. Care to explain to the customer that his new house you just wired has them in every box after he just seen you replace 1 that failed ? I know the fail rate would be low but it likely is a lot higher than a wire nut. I look at it this way, i strip about 1 1/2 inches off wire, twist with klines so i have a good connection even without the nut. After twisting i cut them off to about 3/4 of inch then add the nut. Short of solder this is about as good as it can be.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I do question the idea of wagos. Back about 15 or so years ago our duplex receptacles had that type of connections and then they said #12 is not ok as a back stab. Now we use same idea and call it a wago.
If you think the mechanics behind a receptacle backstab and a 'Wago' spring connector are the same, then you are sadly under-informed. Take the time to read both technical reports and testing standards for spring connectors.

While, I have no problem with the performance of spring connectors, I do view them as simply one of several acceptable methods.

Jim W in Tampa

If you think the mechanics behind a receptacle backstab and a 'Wago' spring connector are the same, then you are sadly under-informed. Take the time to read both technical reports and testing standards for spring connectors.

While, I have no problem with the performance of spring connectors, I do view them as simply one of several acceptable methods.

They both are very similar. Gladly read them if you have link.
Lets not forget that thru the years we been lied to many times. Think back to the late 60's with aluminum wire and back when #12 could be back stabed on receptacles. We were told they were good too but now paying the price. Your welcome to use them but i never will. Got to admit they would be faster. Problem is a customer gets 1 year of warranty on new house. After that year the problems start costing them not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.