ground rod location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it legal to install ground rods inside the basement when you have a 200 amp meter/main breaker on one side of the house. and on the other side the loadcenter ? or do they need to be outside next to the meter/ main breaker ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
belcastroelectric said:
is it legal to install ground rods inside the basement when you have a 200 amp meter/main breaker on one side of the house. and on the other side the loadcenter ? or do they need to be outside next to the meter/ main breaker ?

I couldn't find anything that said where ground rods can be located in the code. Doesn't mean there isn't something somewhere.

mdshunk

I drive them in basements from time to time. Particularly when the building has a sidewalk or paving most of the way around it, or is up against buildings on one or more sides. The floor starts to become a more attractive option sometimes. Functionally, it might not work as well as it would if it were in damp soil. Driving a rod in bone dry basement dirt is a real treat.

stickboy1375

belcastroelectric said:

Why would you, when you have to land the GECs in the service disconnect anyway.

stickboy1375

belcastroelectric said:

Are your asking if its okay to land the GEC to the loadcenter? the answer is NO...

250.24(A)(1).jpg

And welcome to the forum...

Last edited:

ultramegabob

I cant give you a code reference, but I think they are "supposed" to be located beyond the overhang of the building so they are in soil that will be more likely to become damp.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
I cant give you a code reference, but I think they are supposed to be located beyond the overhang of the building so they are in soil that will be more likely to become damp.

I was just going to say something about that.

Maybe it was code, or maybe it is a power company thing or maybe just good design I have seen many people bring that exact point. :smile:

However I can not find it in the current NEC.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
I cant give you a code reference, but I think they are "supposed" to be located beyond the overhang of the building so they are in soil that will be more likely to become damp.
I can't either, but I seem to recall something about being below the permanent moisture level being in the NEC.

stickboy1375

iwire said:
I was just going to say something about that.

Maybe it was code, or maybe it is a power company thing or maybe just good design I have seen many people bring that exact point. :smile:

However I can not find it in the current NEC.

So now a ground rod has to be wet or it wont work? Did it even work before? :grin:

ultramegabob

I dont know if it is, or ever was code, but It was driven into my head by my first employer who I have great respect of his knowledge, like Iwire said, it may just be good design....

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
I seem to recall it is a suggestion rather than a requirement.

Ken's right, 250.53(A) it is more then a suggestion.

shall be below the permanent moisture level when 'practicable' (My words)

That means when possible you will do it.

480sparky

iwire said:

Makes me wonder what good a ground rod does when the ground is bone dry for entire length of the rod.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:

And since it also specifies the maximum required length of the ground rod, it would appear to be unenforcable.

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
And since it also specifies the maximum required length of the ground rod, it would appear to be unenforcable.

I don't see that at all, I see the minimum length rod required, a longer one may be needed to meet all the NEC requirements.

I did a movie theater on Cape Cod which is pretty much a sand bar in the Atlantic. The prints required a 20' sectional rod be installed. I assume that was to get below sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.