ground rod location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersman

stickboy1375 said:
Why would you, when you have to land the GECs in the service disconnect anyway.
Maybe because most resi loadcenters with main breakers are the main disconnecting means with no switch outside. I still think it's easier to go outside with them though rather than hammerdrilling a hole or 2 in the concrete floor.

Ebow

I am new to your forum, but I have to add my two cents on this because it was a big headache for a while when we got a new AHJ. A couple years ago we were wiring up to four, 5000 to 6000 and up custom homes a month. A new Elect. Insp. came on and decided we needed to have all our GEC connected to the rebar in the slab. Which meant we had to do this before the footer was poured so it could be part of the footer inspection. About 75%of the time when we got around to installing the M/M Combo the GEC would be missing (scrap copper prices were on the rise). So we would wind up driving in Electrodes anyway. Always on the outside of the house because we have no basements here and always about a foot back from the eve drip line. I alway put mine eight feet apart because I measure with the second rod from the first to locate where it needs to go.

Gene

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ebow said:
A new Elect. Insp. came on and decided we needed to have all our GEC connected to the rebar in the slab. Which meant we had to do this before the footer was poured so it could be part of the footer inspection.
Gene

The inspector was correct in requiring you to use the CEE if it qualified as an electrode. This is not a new requirement and I'm sometimes surprised when I hear that in some places people are still installing ground rods for a new building.

ultramegabob

infinity said:
The inspector was correct in requiring you to use the CEE if it qualified as an electrode. This is not a new requirement and I'm sometimes surprised when I hear that in some places people are still installing ground rods for a new building.

Just "one" ground rod around here.

No mater how much direction (code), science or evidence (fires and deaths) are presented supporting the concept that all "electrodes" present are expected to be connected to comprise a "Grounding Electrode System" (NEC 250.50) has been fought by lazy and selfish individuals who refuse to install the life preserving bond. The term equapotential is defined and accomplished by doing this.

Consider who you could be threatening with electrocution during a fault.

I like to build electrical systems that are safe for more than the obligatory 1 year warranty period.

cschmid

back to the OP question..I had a service were they had added onto the building and there was no ground rod..What they had done was connect the system to a water line that had corroded and failed..I had no other option but to drill a hole in the floor and install rod..this is a 25 yr old building..I used two 10ft screw together rods..the first rod went in with just my bare hands the second one did not encounter any resistance to the earth until it was in about 4 ft then I had to use a hammer on it to get it driven in..So I would suggest if you are going through the basement floor I would use some screw together rods..because years from now when the soil under the basement floor is void of moister it will no longer stabilize the service..You must remember we are located in sand country..

don fullman

cant imagine a better place , protected from physical damage from weed eaters and lawn mowers coming from the ground to either the meter or the first overcurrent device. we always put the gec inside carflex up to bottom of the equipment to keep it from being removed or cut. it is ok to put it in the basement .even if you pour a concrete floor in the basement leave the acorns accesable we do this with a 3" pvc pipe about 12" long. maybe the smartest thing to do is leave them up about 6" aff in basement and terminate inside the main breaker panel

Rewire

Did a job in Shawnee Kansas and KC power and light told us to NOT put our ground wire to the meter but run it inside to the panel which had a main breaker.

mattsilkwood

Rewire said:
Did a job in Shawnee Kansas and KC power and light told us to NOT put our ground wire to the meter but run it inside to the panel which had a main breaker.
if i remember right kcp&l dosent want you in the meter base at all

Status
Not open for further replies.