ground rods for exterior lighting poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Where in the nec does it say the sun is an SDS? Is each fixture a service? I have been asked to quote the code on this situation. I know the definition of an SDS in the code. Each fixture is solar powered. I believe no god rod is required.

The sun is the energy source like the fuel tank for the generator powered by an internal combustion engine. True it is a separately derived source of energy. The electrical system you attempt to couple it with may or may not be a separately derived electrical system, depends how they tie together. In your case we don't have a second system to deal with so it is a separate system , but is also a stand alone system. From an NEC perspective it is not a service supplied system - that means nothing in art 230 applies unless another article points us back there, but is probably still considered a SDS. Whether or not this system even needs to be grounded is something you need to go to art 250 part II to find answers for. I'd say 250.20(B) doesn't require these to be grounded, but they still can be. It is not premises wiring or a premises wiring system if each pole has it's own supply located on/within the pole.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
But it could be less than 50 volts, or it could be DC only. Either would eliminate the need for a grounding electrode system.

I don't see how. I think you are confusing system grounding with equipment grounding.

We need more info about the product the OP is using.

I agree with this. It's questionable if a self contained listed assembly is covered by the NEC. And even supposing it is covered, f it is a listed assembly that possesses no instructions or provision for terminating a GEC, then 110.3(B) effectively says you don't need one. And it may indeed be a violation to modify the assembly to attach one.

kwired

Electron manager
If these poles are covered by NEC, it would be dependent on the loose definition of "equipment" and it's use in 90.2.

Most stand alone listed assemblies are not covered by the NEC but rather their listing. If there were field installed interconnections between poles the NEC has much greater chance of applying to at least those field installed interconnections.

Status
Not open for further replies.