Grounded conductor identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
In many areas of the country this rule is not followed. Around here it is rare to see white or green larger than #10.

It's interesting how different parts of the country operate. We have all the white and green #6 and 8 we can handle over here. But our inspectors do look at the reidentified conductor size.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
How is it safe to re-identify #4 but not safe to re-identify #8? This is just an arbitrary line in the sand, and in some areas this line has been moved...unofficially, in most cases, but still moved. An electrician that needs to see the colors white and green to identify the function of the conductors is not a qualified person and shouldn't be doing electrical work.

I don't know why the rules are what they are. But when rules are not followed unsafe conditions can develop.

As far as not needed wire colors if your qualified... I wouldn't want to work on a system where the colors are random and don't mean anything. It would be awful tough and dangerous.

iwire

Staff member
As far as not needed wire colors if your qualified... I wouldn't want to work on a system where the colors are random and don't mean anything. It would be awful tough and dangerous.

I do that almost everyday, it is not hard when that is what your used to. Electricity is color blind.

And here in MA and RI it is the same as Don describes, most times we remark all conductors 8 and larger.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Sometimes I think it would be better if the only color of insulation was black...then you would have to know what you are doing to work on the system, and it would take a lot more manhours making more work for qualified electricians (economic stimulus for electricians):D.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
How is it safe to re-identify #4 but not safe to re-identify #8? This is just an arbitrary line in the sand, and in some areas this line has been moved...unofficially, in most cases, but still moved.

#6 is often pulled all black and taped... is it acceptable per the code? nope.
can the inspector require you to repull it? yep.

so, do you feel lucky today, punk? well, do ya?:D:D:D
-Inspector Harry Callahan

daleuger

Never ever ever ever ever EVER seen or even heard of that happening, but now knowing that little factoid wouldn't be surprised if it did. OTOH I wouldn't be up on a soap box lecturing people not to do it either. Phasing is a common sense thing. Pick your battles.

joeyww12000

I appreciate all the responses once again. My opinion would be to just do it by the book. Most of the guys I work with are "know it alls" and I get a kick out of deflating there egos by doing things right. I am at least putting the effort into finding out what is code and what is not. Im sure none of my coworkers are up right now studying to get better at there job.

daleuger

I do that almost everyday, it is not hard when that is what your used to. Electricity is color blind.

And here in MA and RI it is the same as Don describes, most times we remark all conductors 8 and larger.

Holy cow! Working like that must keep you on your toes, eh? Bet that meter has saved your life a few times. :D

daleuger

I don't know why the rules are what they are. But when rules are not followed unsafe conditions can develop.

In a panel, xfrmr, starter something like that yeah common sense will prevail as to what should be landed where. Not so much when you look at some of the messes that sometimes happen in j-boxes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

You just have to know the area where you are working and how the code is enforced. You can get a good idea by seeing if the local electrical supply houses stock white and green #8 and #6. If they don't then it is a good bet that this rule is not enforced locally.

dcspector

Because I want to pass inspection. :smile:

FWIW here in MA they amended the NEC so we are not required to remark whites used as hots for switch legs, an electrician knows what a switch leg is. :cool:

Bob the Ma amend. is that only for cables as far as not having to re id? Just curious.

dcspector

Yes, the amendment is specifically to 200.7(C)(2).

But it does tend to display the disdain we have for color identification. :D

I see the point...I am stuck legally enforcing what is written, rediculous as some codes may be. Thanks. We should all walk a mile in each others boots. "I have".....Hope that made sense.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Yes, the amendment is specifically to 200.7(C)(2).

But it does tend to display the disdain we have for color identification. :D

Have you or anyone else you know of proposed a change in the requirement?
Just wondering if any ROC has ever spelled out the reason for the apparently arbitrary line in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.