Harmonics Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is that a sign I haven't had any dealings with washing machine motors in a long time?

So I take it the "essential parts" are still the same? :D
Nope. Front loaders are in and there is no agitator.
The drum is directly coupled to the rotor of the pulsed DC motor. There are still solenoid valves and a drain pump though.
The reversible multiple speed transmission used in the classic machine was a thing of beauty and a prime point of failure. :)
Some of the new machines determine the size of the load you put in by measuring the torque it takes to spin the motor up and down before the cycle starts.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Nope. Front loaders are in and there is no agitator.
The drum is directly coupled to the rotor of the pulsed DC motor. There are still solenoid valves and a drain pump though.
The reversible multiple speed transmission used in the classic machine was a thing of beauty and a prime point of failure. :)
Some of the new machines determine the size of the load you put in by measuring the torque it takes to spin the motor up and down before the cycle starts.

I wondered how it knew how big of a load I put in there. Ours is top load.
Dryer taking forever to dry? Buy a new washer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm sure you knew what I meant.
I did... and that's why I put a smiley after comment. Just brought it up for other readers so they didn't think motors in general are nonlinear. It's the controller electronics that make the motor load non-linear.

Status
Not open for further replies.