Help with 400 amp resi pedestal install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Cust has existing underground 200 amp service. He is looking to add about 100 amps of load in a shop by his attached garage. Load analysis for his existing home is 190 amps. (2 large A/C units, elect dryer, elect range, pool)

Presently the underground feed comes off a utility pole on his property about 110' from his house.
Was considering installing a 400 amp pedestal at the pole and bringing a second set of 200 amp conductors to the house. Install a second 200 amp panel and use this 2nd panel to feed his shop.

Question: Is it code complaint (2008) to only have the 2 200amp disconnects at the main breaker panels? These panels will be placed next to each other. No disconnect at the pedestal.

Thank you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If POCO has no objection, install a 400 amp meter base on a pedestal, supply with adequate service condcutors and intercept the exsiting 200 amp u.g. to the house and add a 200 amp u.g. to the shop.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
That was one way to do this, but going directly to the shop from the pole is a longer trenching job, and the portion of the driveway to be crossed is much wider; the area of the driveway in front of the 3-car garage.

Going to back to the side of the house where the existing meter pan and panel is a shorter distance and crosses a narrow part of the driveway.

Getting SER cable from the new panel to the shop is not that bad, mostly unfinished basement but for 1 10x12 room with a drop ceiling.

But a meter pedestal without a disconnect is OK?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Big OPPS ! on my part, I read "detached garage".
With an "attached" garage you need to group your service disconnects.
Per NEC you could group up to 6 service disconnects.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Using 2- 200 amp disconnects from a 400 amp service is very common around here. Remember when you do this T. 310.15(B)(6) will not apply for your service conductors. This means with a load of 190 at the house 4/0 alumin. cannot be used, however if you move some of the load to the new panel and keep the load under 180 amps 4/0 would suffice.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Using 2- 200 amp disconnects from a 400 amp service is very common around here. Remember when you do this T. 310.15(B)(6) will not apply for your service conductors. This means with a load of 190 at the house 4/0 alumin. cannot be used,
Good catch, Dennis.
Boy, I really dropped the ball on this one ;)

however if you move some of the load to the new panel and keep the load under 180 amps 4/0 would suffice.
In some jurisdctions, yes and in some, No.
Using SER, the 60? limitation might be enforced by the inspector.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In some jurisdctions, yes and in some, No.
Using SER, the 60? limitation might be enforced by the inspector.

Ser is to the sub panels I was think about the service panels outdoors next to the meters. You are correct with se cable.

wawireguy

I haven't priced SER vs MC but you might want to consider using MC instead as you don't have to size it off the 60 degree column. Worth pricing out.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
The garage is attached to the house. The shop is also in the house. The shop is the 3rd garage of his 3 car garage.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hi Dennis;
I am not planning to have a 400 amp disconnect at the meter pedestal.
What part of this install would disallow using T 310.15(B)(6) for sizing the service conductors?

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
The panels are in the basement.
Presently, the is a 200 amp meter pan with under ground feed; on the side of the house with a 200 amp main breaker panel in the basement back/back with the meter pan.

The plan is to place a 400 amp meter pedestal at the pole (100' away) and add another 200 amp underground feed to the house.

Replace the existing meter pan with a trough or splitter R3 enclosure, bring in 2 separate conduits into the trough/splitter enclosure.
Add a second main breaker panel in the basement next to the existing one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The panels are in the basement.
Presently, the is a 200 amp meter pan with under ground feed; on the side of the house with a 200 amp main breaker panel in the basement back/back with the meter pan.

The plan is to place a 400 amp meter pedestal at the pole (100' away) and add another 200 amp underground feed to the house.

Replace the existing meter pan with a trough or splitter R3 enclosure, bring in 2 separate conduits into the trough/splitter enclosure.
Add a second main breaker panel in the basement next to the existing one.

That would not be a legal install as you cannot feed a structure with 2 supplies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Hi Dennis;
I am not planning to have a 400 amp disconnect at the meter pedestal.
What part of this install would disallow using T 310.15(B)(6) for sizing the service conductors?

T 310.15(B)(6) is only allowed on conductors that feed the entire load of the structure.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
That would not be a legal install as you cannot feed a structure with 2 supplies.

Dennis,
If he only puts the meter pan at the pole and brings in two sets of service conductors is it a violation ?
225 would only apply if there were disconencts at the meter.
There is one service..... at the pole.
How does this differ to having a 400 amp meter on the house feeding two adjacent panels ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Would 230.40 exception 2 allow sets of service conductors to the separate panels?

I believe it may. Each underground run from the meter is a service entrance conductor and it is fed from one service lateral so it appears it would be compliant.

If disconnects were at the pedestal then I think you would have a violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis,
If he only puts the meter pan at the pole and brings in two sets of service conductors is it a violation ?
225 would only apply if there were disconencts at the meter.
There is one service..... at the pole.
How does this differ to having a 400 amp meter on the house feeding two adjacent panels ?
I wasn't thinking correctly-- I was thinking discos at the pedestal but that was clearly not the case. I must say that I have never seen it done this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.