Home Depot ad in EC Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

active1

Did anyone notice the Home Depot Contractor Services ad in the 12/2008 copy of Electrical Contractor Magazine? Page 33. Sorry I don't have a link and I don't want to scan a copywrited ad.

It's a picture of an open 4S (1900) box with a Home Depot sticker across most of the inside.
The funny thing is the 3 conductors are are cut and spliced about 1-2" from the connectors.
You can see there is not much twist on the splices as the black looks so tight from being short it wants to come out of the nut.
The box has 2 steel connectors with the lock nuts on backwards.
I would say the locknuts look to be loose also.
The set screws on the connectors are turn up and I'm guessing they are loose.
The box is not secured to whatever it is sitting against.
While they had a EG in the pipe and spliced in the box, the EG is not bonded to the box.

Below it they wrote "We put our name behind it all".
And "Come in today and let us rewire the way you think about our Contactor Services".

Then at the bottom they put company names like Klein, Lutron, and Hubbell. Wonder if these companies realize what their names are put on.

I think they would have used a handy box except they needed somthing begger for their sticker.

I should write HD a letter saying they forgot to tape the wire nuts. They should wrap the green around the 8-32 box screw. Also to put a 1 hole strap on each pipe without an offset.

480sparky

I noticed it too..... I even scanned it in for you...

had.jpg

Notice, too, the locknuts are backwards, and the screws on the connectors have never been touched by a screwdriver.

Did you notice the violations in the Siemens ad on page 17i?

sad.jpg

S'mise

we're lame... but we can help.

we're lame... but we can help.

Yes I saw it and thought the same thing. Of all the places to post an ad like that! You'd think HD would have people review this stuff before making themselves look inept. You can do it with our expert advice...:D

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
:D

i just got through reading this sitting in the playground outside and was coming in to tell you guys about it.

:D

growler

It's a picture of an open 4S (1900) box with a Home Depot sticker across most of the inside.
The funny thing is the 3 conductors are are cut and spliced about 1-2" from the connectors.
You can see there is not much twist on the splices as the black looks so tight from being short it wants to come out of the nut.
The box has 2 steel connectors with the lock nuts on backwards.
I would say the locknuts look to be loose also.
The set screws on the connectors are turn up and I'm guessing they are loose.
The box is not secured to whatever it is sitting against.
While they had a EG in the pipe and spliced in the box, the EG is not bonded to the box.

It wouldn't pass inspection but I doubt if it will ever have to. It's probably not hooked up to anything and I would guess that conduit is only about a foot long in a photographer's studio and not a job site.

It's expensive advertising and they care more about the consumer being able to read the name than giving instructions on the proper way to do electrical work.

Do you know that when they take pictures of peaches for adds to give them that nice gloss they cover them in mineral oil ( that's not the way you want to eat peaches). :grin:

480sparky

It wouldn't pass inspection but I doubt if it will ever have to. It's probably not hooked up to anything and I would guess that conduit is only about a foot long in a photographer's studio and not a job site. ....

But if you're going to advertise to professionals, at least be professional about it.....

Yes I saw it and thought the same thing. Of all the places to post an ad like that! You'd think HD would have people review this stuff before making themselves look inept. You can do it with our expert advice...:D

Well, we all know where HD gets their electrical advice.

24_9.JPG

~Shado~

sad.jpg

Hmmm....
- no door on panel
- no safety glasses
- flipping breakers while standing in front of panel
- other circuits not labeled

anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:

mxslick

sad.jpg

Hmmm....
- no door on panel
- no safety glasses

anything else?

No door on panel; yes, violation
no safety glasses; what NEC article requires them?
Flipping breakers..... : Again, what NEC article prohibits standing in front of a panel when operating breakers? Not a good idea from a safety standpoint, sure, but not a Code issue
Other circuits not labeled; Yes, violation.

Dave gets 50% on that test. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

Hmmm....
- no door on panel
- no safety glasses

anything else?

The door may be just hidden by "Sparky" there.

Last sentence in the '08 of 408.4 perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.