Home Depot ad in EC Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Only if he is holding it between his knees. :D

Notice the holes where door hinges would go. :smile:

Maybe the door's ambidextrous.
glupan.gif

(How many are going to look that word up?!?!)

~Shado~

No door on panel; yes, violation
no safety glasses; what NEC article requires them?
Flipping breakers..... : Again, what NEC article prohibits standing in front of a panel when operating breakers? Not a good idea from a safety standpoint, sure, but not a Code issue
Other circuits not labeled; Yes, violation.

Dave gets 50% on that test. :)

Ah Hah...the question was"did you notice the violations...."
......nothing about what violations...NEC, OSHA, etc....;)
so, 408.4....gives me about a 95% then? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

wbalsam1

It is so common to observe multiple code violations in various electrical wiring method displays at the big box stores. Very rarely do I see a correct wiring display at these type stores or at the lumber yard sales stores, either.
It isn't hard to guess that the overall intent is to create the impression that there's very little skill actually needed to "do-it-yourself and save money" and this advertising pitch has served well in fostering such a notion.

Karl H

It is so common to observe multiple code violations in various electrical wiring method displays at the big box stores. Very rarely do I see a correct wiring display at these type stores or at the lumber yard sales stores, either.
It isn't hard to guess that the overall intent is to create the impression that there's very little skill actually needed to "do-it-yourself and save money" and this advertising pitch has served well in fostering such a notion.

Sad but very true!

Last edited by a moderator:

growler

Then at the bottom they put company names like Klein, Lutron, and Hubbell. Wonder if these companies realize what their names are put on.

They not only know about it but probably helped to pay for the add. Home Depot is like Wal Mart they are one of the biggest distributors of any product that you can find so manufacturers are happy to be associated with them.

Just who do you think writes the big checks for Klien,Lutron and Hubbel, is it Home Depot or your local supply house chain? Home Depot is the big boy on the block for total sales. They have thousands of stores and the supply houses can't come close to matching that. The supply house sells Klien tools to professional and Home Depot sells to everyone else, which do you think is the bigger market?

IBM made the same mistake, they wanted to build computers for professionals and microsoft built them for the rest of us idiots.

cadpoint

IBM made the same mistake, they wanted to build computers for professionals and microsoft built them for the rest of us idiots.

If you ever seen the movie and really know the history, IBM wanted to build computer yes, they walked away from the software!
Bill never had a mouse or Icons till Steve Jobs game him a Apple!

I always look really close at all the picture here to notice correct and mostly incorrect electrical applictions. I also review the trade magazines and all other pictures. graphs, and stetchs, related to implied correct electrical work. Pictures are easy on the eyes! :rolleyes:

It seems (as noted earlier) it's all PR in the HD case!

celtic

I should write HD a letter saying they forgot to tape the wire nuts.
They should wrap the green around the 8-32 box screw.
Also to put a 1 hole strap on each pipe without an offset.

Is taping nuts a requirement?
Is the 8/32 screw that holds the cover one of the proper methods?
Is an offset required?
Is a strap required within 2" of the box?

Let me know how the letter writing campaign works out for you...
mrroberts.JPG

active1

Is taping nuts a requirement?
Is the 8/32 screw that holds the cover one of the proper methods?
Is an offset required?
Is a strap required within 2" of the box?

Let me know how the letter writing campaign works out for you...
mrroberts.JPG

Wow. Sorry you did not catch the sarcasm. I did not mean to insult your supply house. The joke being how could the HD marketing make the photo more incorect and appear like the common do-it yourself work many of us have seen.

The one common do-it yourself mistake would be incorect bonding such as using the cover screw, pinching the EG between the cover and box, or bonding to a drywall screw secured to something thru the box hole.

I said the 1 hole strap because it is common to see handyman style work a 1 hole strap trying to hold the pipe to a surface but not have the offset. Sure you could use mini's but that defeats the point of my dry humor.

And of course the typical DIY tape on the wire nuts.

As far as letters I am disappointed some of the companies are involved with this ad. I may write to a few to express this.

tkb

It's obvious that whoever put together the box for the HD add does not know what they are doing.

I would put money down that the wires in the wire nuts aren't even stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.