Hot Tub Bonding - 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
How would you install a bonding grid in fiberglass? :confused:

A better question would be, how thick is a fiberglass pad that can support all that weight?
Fiberglass pad, wood deck, what ever the surface, you would still be required to bond it. That is the problem.

As far as the question of "where would the water conduct to?" If you have ever seen kids getting in and out of a hot tub the area gets saturated, this would create a path to earth, water on the pad continuous to the dirt/pavement. Hot tub and Pool water very high in chemicals/minerals that will conduct.

pjem2364

Hot Tub

Hot Tub

The fiberglass pad is just slightly larger than the hot tub. I feel like everyone is reading more into this article that should be there. Part 1 and 2 of 680 is describing the method of bonding a pool frame and rebar, IF IT EXISTS.

It is my interpretation of this to mean, if you put in a pool or hot tub, and have any metal surfaces, you have to bond them together. I see nowhere in this article where it states anything about actually creating this ground grid, if it does not exist. If you know where it states that, please cite the article.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The fiberglass pad is just slightly larger than the hot tub. I feel like everyone is reading more into this article that should be there. Part 1 and 2 of 680 is describing the method of bonding a pool frame and rebar, IF IT EXISTS.

It is my interpretation of this to mean, if you put in a pool or hot tub, and have any metal surfaces, you have to bond them together. I see nowhere in this article where it states anything about actually creating this ground grid, if it does not exist. If you know where it states that, please cite the article.
We are not putting more into this. Bonding the pool metal is different from the epb grid. Read 680.26(B)(2) in the 2008 NEC

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I agree with Dennis, this is required. When I have inspected in-ground pools this is the most misunderstood part of the install for the pool guys, AND THAT IS ALL THEY DO:-?
My advise is read and re-read the section 680.26 on equipotential bonding. It is simple once you wrap your mind around the whole section. Not that installing it is simple.:grin: Charlies Rule applies. (do a search if you don't know Charlies Rule)

raider1

Staff member

That is not what 680.26(B)(2) says at all. If there is reinforcing steel in the permieter then it is required to be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B)(2)(a). If the reinforcing steel is not present then alternate means is required in accordance with 680.26(B)(2)(b)

Again as Dennis has already pointed out 680.26(B)(2) is the requirement.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.