how much

Status
Not open for further replies.

donselectric

went to price a 200 a 42 circuit service.
riser was 22ft, all copper in pvc.
washer cir in cellar with a fridg cir.
pull cir to micro and splitup a couple things
add front door fix.
told the guy if he put 4g away he'd have plenty
i was figuring 35hun. he got a guy for 2400....:rolleyes:
i didnt think i was that far out.......

Kessler4130

Bob NH

Kessler4130 said:
He might as well screwed the meter to the window, couldn't have gotten any closer if he tried. Inspector would have laughed at me if I did that.

It was apparently put there to cover up the holes from the one being replaced. It is in exactly the same spot.

growler

donselectric said:
i was figuring 35hun. he got a guy for 2400....:rolleyes:
i didnt think i was that far out.......

If you had quoted $2500 and the next guy guotes $2400 you still lose the job. If there were 3 or 4 bids then the others may have been over 3K except this one guy. If that's the case then he cheated himself because he could have gotten 4 or 5 hundred more to do the job.

Even if you figure your materials to the last penny and your labor down to the minute it doesn't mean you will get a bid job it just means you will know before you start that you are going to make money.

If the customer is willing to wait and talk to enough contractors and take enough chances then he could have got the job done even cheaper. All he needed to do was find someone that's just starting out that's real hungry.

At the very best of times a bid is a crap shoot and all you can hope to do is improve your odds of winnning. If you want to know if you are bidding in a certain range then you have to keep records for a year or two and see what percentage of the jobs bid you actually win.

celtic

emahler said:
do a search for the e-bay outfit....specifically on ec&m's top 50 list for the past few years;)

Didn't they also some questions from the NRLB to answer?

emahler

could be...i don't know jack about the company...but my guess is any company in that size range has had a couple of cases like this...comes with the territory I would imagine..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
emahler said:
can you repeat that in English instead of that North Jersey jibberish....Thanks:)

Guess that you don't know too much about labor relations if you've never heard of the NLRB.

electricmanscott

Bob NH said:
If you are competing with someone who offers a 200 Amp service upgrade for $1000, he can do a lot more for an additional $1400. It is probably not the same guy, but gives you some idea of the low-end limit of possible competition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-amp-Service...ryZ20596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont know what backwoods hicktown these guys are working in but they are exactly what is wrong with our trade.

8 Hours of journeyman electrician for 400 bucks? Yikes. :mad:

satcom

electricmanscott said:
I dont know what backwoods hicktown these guys are working in but they are exactly what is wrong with our trade.

8 Hours of journeyman electrician for 400 bucks? Yikes. :mad:

I figured it would be 200 bucks, we just did a 200A 40 Space in PVC using a SQ D Loadcenter, the material bill for everything was $792 including the tax, I think the $1000 is a foot in the door price, we had a local guy would tell customers when they called 200A service is about $1000, that got him in the door, then the sky was the limit, Oh you have more then 10 circuits, Oh I see you need a new back board, Oh your grounding electrode is more then 10 ft, and on and on, Now what I can do for you, is do all this extra work, and give you a nice service for only $1900, or whatever the fish are biting that day.

Door opener pricing has been around for a long time, once your in the door your chances of closing a sale go way up.

Last edited:

emahler

infinity said:
Guess that you don't know too much about labor relations if you've never heard of the NLRB.

I've heard of, and dealt with, the NLRB...

however:

celtic's jibberish said:
Didn't they also some questions from the NRLB to answer?

I'm not familiar with the NRLB, nor could I comprehend Celt's "Didn't they also some questions from..." jibberish.

So, good day..

Status
Not open for further replies.