How stuck in your ways are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

it appears that many of us are too stuck in our ways...how bad are you?

do you dismiss ideas simply because you've never done it that way, so it must be wrong?

mdshunk

I'm always trying new stuff. Gets boring doing things the same way all the time. I'm normally ordering new products at the supply house before the countermen even knew they existed. I've been rewiring church chandeliers all week, and I don't think I've used the same approach on any 2 so far. Trying to get a "system" down, but they all suck the same. I'll try something, even if it's wrong, if for no other reason than to have said I tried it. Keeps things interesting.

emahler

me too...but there are guys in this industry who still refuse to use plastic boxes and romex because they aren't good...

mdshunk

emahler said:
me too...but there are guys in this industry who still refuse to use plastic boxes and romex because they aren't good...
That's good for you and me then, the way I see it. The more people stuck in a rut, the better I get.

360Youth

I like familiarity and comfort, but it gets old without trying things new ways and even new areas of the field period. One of the reasons I prefer residential and small commercial is not being in one spot or project for too long. I like being more than just a house man or generator man. Keeps it interesting and fresh. But what I really like are the new tools. :grin: :grin:

tmbrk

Where I live most municipalities require EMT for residential so we are forced to do it that way. Even when they allow you to use NM they make you use metal boxes.

I guess I'm used to doing it this way but if I moved to another part of the country I guess I would use NM and plastic boxes if allowed.

When in Rome.................;)

quogueelectric

metal sucks for residential.com

metal sucks for residential.com

tmbrk said:
Where I live most municipalities require EMT for residential so we are forced to do it that way. Even when they allow you to use NM they make you use metal boxes.

I guess I'm used to doing it this way but if I moved to another part of the country I guess I would use NM and plastic boxes if allowed.

When in Rome.................;)
WHY would anyone want metal boxes for romex?? Please enlighten me.

tmbrk

quogueelectric said:

I don't know why they require it if that's what you're asking. I don't even think you can buy plastic boxes at the Home Depots around here.

macmikeman

tmbrk said:
I don't know why they require it if that's what you're asking. I don't even think you can buy plastic boxes at the Home Depots around here.

This made me think about something really funny. The Home Depot here on Oahu carried electric fence gear which took up a pretty good part of the electrical isle, for years. What animal were they thinking we were fencing in with that stuff? Roosters? Maybe the guys with the hidden herbacultural farms were buying it, to keep cops out, I don't know. We don't have any cows nowadays.

captaincrab55

emahler said:

do you dismiss ideas simply because you've never done it that way, so it must be wrong?
I didn't have a problem; Giving up using tape on wirenuts 35 years ago or not using redheads with approved connectors 6 years ago.....:roll:

480sparky

"I'll try anything once."

I tried wagos once, and I wasted a whole day finding the bad ones in a bunch of can lights during a trim.

I tried cheap tools once, then got smart and spent two weeks pay buying tools with names like Greenlee, Ideal, and Klien.

I tried back-stabs once, and wasted another day finding all the wires that had pulled out during a trim.

I tried a $29 cordless drill once. It lasted 3 days until I burned up the battery charging it (you had to time your recharges or else it would cook the cells). Then I bought a DeWalt and have never looked back.

I worked out of a pickup once. Spent all my time trying to make sure I had what I needed, then worried about someone stealing something from the open bed (or getting ruined from rain/snow). I bought a van so I can just get up in the morning and go to work.

I tried going to a web site run by a guy by the name of Mike Holt. Yea, I'm a creature of habit.....

LawnGuyLandSparky

macmikeman said:
This made me think about something really funny. The Home Depot here on Oahu carried electric fence gear which took up a pretty good part of the electrical isle, for years. What animal were they thinking we were fencing in with that stuff? Roosters? Maybe the guys with the hidden herbacultural farms were buying it, to keep cops out, I don't know. We don't have any cows nowadays.

Many chain stores open with a predetermined stock. The HD here kept 4-jaw ring meter sockets for 2 years after they were no longer allowed by the utility.

I went in once for lighbulbs, and walked out with 2 cases of roof de-icing cable marked down to 2.00 a pack, because it wasn't moving. (No appreciable amount of snow here for a couple of seasons.)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I went in once for lighbulbs, and walked out with 2 cases of roof de-icing cable marked down to 2.00 a pack, because it wasn't moving. (No appreciable amount of snow here for a couple of seasons.)
So, what do you use it for? :-? :smile:

brian john

I never use plastic boxes or romex......

But I gurantee you I change as much as anybody....To be a good trouble shooter you have to be able to change mid-stream...

Rewire

quogueelectric said:
Metal boxes are gangable so you only buy one type box buy in bulk to get cheaper price and never need a four gang box and not have one as well as being able to use madisons for old work.

celtic

Rewire said:
Metal boxes are gangable so you only buy one type box buy in bulk to get cheaper price and never need a four gang box and not have one as well as being able to use madisons for old work.

:-?
New work boxes don't have ears...you need ears on old work boxes.
Old Work boxes don't have a side mount bracket...you need that bracket on new work.
I see 2 styles at a minimum.

How much is a 1G metal box (new work..$1.18 ?)....how much is a 1G plastic box( 0.52?) ?

A 4G metal box would cost you about $5 PLUS the labor assembling the thing.
A 4G plastic costs about $4.

Given the choice - why wouldn't you use plastic boxes?

I also prefer plastic old work boxes....they have a larger outside dimension than a metal box ....easier to get my hand in the wall....the metal box IS cheaper at about $1.43/per vs. the plastic at about $1.82 PLUS the larger device plate ~ BUT, if having the opening larger makes my job faster, I'm all over it :)

dnem

quogueelectric said:

For residential jobs, the only metal boxes that I used [when I was a contractor] was 5 gang switch boxes. . Now-a-days I see 5 gang plastics.

celtic

emahler said:

I'm pretty bad - stuck in my ways...BUT, I do like new things ~ if I can confirm it is a better alternative to my method.

Do you have a specific example in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.