Immune to Electrocution

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
ateve66:

In your post #6 you said you can not get a shock with a 12 V battery. I disagree.

In the days of 6 V car batteries I got a tingle from the horn ring to the car body. When not pressed the horn ring was hot with 6 V. It was a hot humid day and my arms and hands were moist. My resistance was probably in the range of 6/0.001 = 6000 ohms or higher. Wasn't much of a tingle.

Normally from one hand to the other my resistance is 0.5 to 1 megohms. At 170 V across a resistance of 1 megohm has a current flow of 0.000,2 amperes.

ronaldrc

The more I think about this the more I believe it.Believe me or not!

I know about 35 years ago when I was working on a range and hood exaust.I had the hood light torn apart for some reason, don't remember all the details.I do rember the neutral on the hood fan light was loose and hanging down out of the units junction.At the time I was working on the 50 amp range plug on the floor checking it. I raised up to go check something in the panel and my hand brushed one of the ungrounded range conductors and at the same time my back run against the neutral hanging out and believe it or not it blew the light bulb. I was sweating very bad when this happen. It literly felt like a horse kicked me in the side. This is the reason I'm sorta going toward this not being a fake.

The human body conducts electricity a lot better than we want to believe.I know when I sweat the resistance between my hands runs between 1k and 1.5 K Ohms. If you go by ohms law this would not be enough current to light a 60 watt light bulb.

Using ohms law applied to the body doesn't apply. Just like measuring the resistance of a 60 watt light bulb doesn't work. A 60 watt light bulbs resistance should be around 240 ohms to draw a current of .5 amps.The real cold resistance is around 15 ohms and using ohms law would make it draw 8 amps.

When using a electronic ohm meter such as a fluke to check your resistance make sure your lead terminals are of the same alloy. Not one steel and the other one copper because this will give you false ohm readings.

Like I said I believe the human conductor is for real, I just do not see how he can stand the pain he has to be feeling.

Believe it or not :)

steve066

From the short amount of the video I watched, it would be very easy to have someone in another room or somewhere else nearby flipping switches and making it look like the electricity is really flowing through this person. From the video, those wires could of gone anywhere, or been cut in the middle, or had a bad spot or anything else.

Flip switch A, see 200 Volts! Flip switch B, the light comes on. Flip switch C and "The fuse blew." Switch D and "I bypassed the fuse".

To me, there just isn't any evidence at all that this guy can do what he says.

If someone wants to prove he can conduct electricity, take him to a lab or a controled enviroment and let him prove it there.

ronaldrc

Gar

Thats not what I meant to say if it come off that way.If you didn't know about the resistance changing with the temperture wouldn't you think a 60 watt light bulb would pull 8 amps? If not you should, but you know the resistance raises as the voltage raises.

I think the chemicals in the body work in a way we don't understand, theres a lot of things we don't understand yet.

Steve I thought about that to untill I remembered my experience with the light bulb.

I was the conductor in series with that light bulb with 240 applied to me and the bulb I do not know to this day why it didn't kill me,I do know thats was probably the worse shock I ever received.

Ronald:)

kwired

Electron manager
ateve66:

In your post #6 you said you can not get a shock with a 12 V battery. I disagree.

In the days of 6 V car batteries I got a tingle from the horn ring to the car body. When not pressed the horn ring was hot with 6 V. It was a hot humid day and my arms and hands were moist. My resistance was probably in the range of 6/0.001 = 6000 ohms or higher. Wasn't much of a tingle.

Normally from one hand to the other my resistance is 0.5 to 1 megohms. At 170 V across a resistance of 1 megohm has a current flow of 0.000,2 amperes.

A long time ago I never thought you could get a shock from a 16 volt doorbell circuit until I seen a brick layer that was washing bricks with muratic acid come into contact with energized doorbell pushbutton conductors that were in the area being washed. From what I understood from him it may not been too severe of a shock, but was definately pretty uncomfortable.

ronaldrc

ReadyDave8

No I know it was 240 because I do remember the hood fan light was still made up to the ungrounded conductor and the neutrals where separated and the light bulb neutral appeared to be the one I got in contact with.

That why I knew how it blew the bulb I was in series between line 1 and line 2 of my 240 volt lines.

I understand that it take less than a 1/4 of an amp. to kill if the current go through your heart or interferes with you heart rate, but I think those shocks are rare.

I guess by nature I am more careless and I know a whole lot luckier than most, but I couldn't even come close to counting the times I have received pretty bad shocks.

I was putting a 1 hole strap on a conduit that fed a 277/480 Truck wash years ago
and ducked my forehead into one of the untaped ungrounded lines and received a 277 volt
shock which made me jump off the extension ladder and a fellow worker broke my fall by throwing out his arms and it help break my fall,I received a tiny burn on the forehead and
and walked with a limp for a day of two where it strained the muscles in my leg from the fall.

I'm know different from anyone else just very lucky.:)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
From the short amount of the video I watched, it would be very easy to have someone in another room or somewhere else nearby flipping switches and making it look like the electricity is really flowing through this person. From the video, those wires could of gone anywhere, or been cut in the middle, or had a bad spot or anything else.

Flip switch A, see 200 Volts! Flip switch B, the light comes on. Flip switch C and "The fuse blew." Switch D and "I bypassed the fuse".

To me, there just isn't any evidence at all that this guy can do what he says.

If someone wants to prove he can conduct electricity, take him to a lab or a controlled environment and let him prove it there.
This is exactly what I think is going on here. There is plenty of room for chicanery in this video. For all we know, there is lot's of manipulation of circuits in the background, maybe even of mixture of "tricks" such as Tesla coils, transformers, impedance relay switching, all kinds of things could easily explain what we are"allowed" to see here. For example, I used to operate a B/W level control relay using wet fingers to demonstrate it's safety, but if you put a "meter" on the leads, it would read 220V. But the power was not really passing through my fingers, the relay was acting upon the change in impedance in the circuit when my fingers touched it, and the RELAY contacts would switch the load. With a little creative wiring, I could make that look like I was "passing the power through my body" too.

If you ask me, airing it to the general public without thorough investigation borders on criminal negligence. Some schmuck kid is going to kill himself because he s going to believe it's possible.

And by the way, he said he grabbed "a" transformer terminal and was not electrocuted. Been there, done that, many many times.The "trick" is in the word "a" as in "one" terminal guys... you all know that.

mivey

And I do not believe any living creature is immune to electricity to the point they can be part of a circuit that operates something like an appliance.
I know creatures down the road that would agree they are not immoooon either.
And that dropped voltage would be given up to heat, which could be bad for flesh.
Exactly. There is a reason the electric chair can get the job done.

kwired

Electron manager
And by the way, he said he grabbed "a" transformer terminal and was not electrocuted. Been there, done that, many many times.The "trick" is in the word "a" as in "one" terminal guys... you all know that.

And if that happened to be a grounded conductor on that terminal, or one conductor of an ungrounded system, it is very believeable that he did not get shocked, or he may have been insulated by whatever he was standing on.

gar

Occupation
EE
100808-1517 EST

A circuit for some of you to consider.

A 1N4733 Zener diode with 10 MA supplied to it. The measured voltage across the Zener is 5.01 V. What is the resistance of the Zener diode at this operating point?

Next put this circuit in a black box with two terminals connected to the Zener diode. With a 574 ohm load on the terminals the voltage drops to 4.98 V. What is the internal resistance of this voltage source over this operating range?

rattus

The more I think about this the more I believe it.Believe me or not!

I know about 35 years ago when I was working on a range and hood exaust.I had the hood light torn apart for some reason, don't remember all the details.I do rember the neutral on the hood fan light was loose and hanging down out of the units junction.At the time I was working on the 50 amp range plug on the floor checking it. I raised up to go check something in the panel and my hand brushed one of the ungrounded range conductors and at the same time my back run against the neutral hanging out and believe it or not it blew the light bulb. I was sweating very bad when this happen. It literly felt like a horse kicked me in the side. This is the reason I'm sorta going toward this not being a fake.

The human body conducts electricity a lot better than we want to believe.I know when I sweat the resistance between my hands runs between 1k and 1.5 K Ohms. If you go by ohms law this would not be enough current to light a 60 watt light bulb.

Using ohms law applied to the body doesn't apply. Just like measuring the resistance of a 60 watt light bulb doesn't work. A 60 watt light bulbs resistance should be around 240 ohms to draw a current of .5 amps.The real cold resistance is around 15 ohms and using ohms law would make it draw 8 amps.

When using a electronic ohm meter such as a fluke to check your resistance make sure your lead terminals are of the same alloy. Not one steel and the other one copper because this will give you false ohm readings.

Like I said I believe the human conductor is for real, I just do not see how he can stand the pain he has to be feeling.

Believe it or not :)

It is conceivable that Ron's sweaty body and shirt shunted most of the lamp current. But, no human could do that without receiving a severe shock.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And by the way, he said he grabbed "a" transformer terminal and was not electrocuted.
If he had claimed that he was electrocuted, I'd have called him a liar. :cool:

Besides, even the grounded conductor is "a" transformer terminal, y'know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.