Inspectors are funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Did a walk-through for a rough inspection today, Inspector asked where the receptacle was for the bathroom basin, (pedestal sink being installed) I point down about a foot off the floor, and he just looks at me and asks why I put it down there, I told him thats where the owner wants it. Kind of looked at me puzzled and I asked him if I should go get my code book or not? :grin: I swear he wanted me to move it...

Then we head upstairs and enter the master bedroom closet, and asks why I put a receptacle in the closet, again I reply because the HO wanted it, so I ask whats the problem, He said it should not be in a closet, :roll: but since its a walk-in closet its okay he says...:-?

There was more to the discussion, but you get the point...

mdshunk

Did he also inspect the plumbing, hvac, and framing while he was there? Not poking fun, just wondering. Some of the "combo inspectors" really have a lot of crap to know, and if it's something they're not used to seeing, "it must be a violation". But, you're right, some inspectors are funny. I scored higher on my master's test for a certain jurisdiction than any of the inspectors that check my work in that jurisdiction. To be elegible to inspect in that town, the inspector needs a score on the master's test above a certain amount (among other qualifications), therefore their actual score becomes a matter of public record. Pretty cool.

Jljohnson

210.52d COULD be interpretted to mean that the receptacle MUST be within 12" of the countertop. Pedestal sink in this application so I suppose there is no countertop, god I love splitting hairs : )

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
Did he also inspect the plumbing, hvac, and framing while he was there? Not poking fun, just wondering. Some of the "combo inspectors" really have a lot of crap to know, and if it's something they're not used to seeing, "it must be a violation". But, you're right, some inspectors are funny. I scored higher on my master's test for a certain jurisdiction than any of the inspectors that check my work in that jurisdiction. To be elegible to inspect in that town, the inspector needs a score on the master's test above a certain amount (among other qualifications), therefore their actual score becomes a matter of public record. Pretty cool.

Your right on Marc, all we have is combo inspectors around my area, its really sad actually.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think you are pushing it stickboy. Why would it not be code compliant to be more than 12" down on the side of a cabinet and be code compliant on a wall at the floor. I have to agree with the inspector and I believe I would turn it down. Guess I am a funny electrician.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
Guess I am a funny electrician.

I guess so... :grin:

1003537600_2.gif

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That is from the handbook I presume which we know isn't code. I agree the wording is there to support you but I still think I would have said no way to the HO. I would say my interpretation says "NO WAY". :D

mdshunk

Dennis Alwon said:
That is from the handbook I presume which we know isn't code. I agree the wording is there to support you but I still think I would have said no way to the HO. I would say my interpretation says "NO WAY". :D
My interpretation would be "okay, whatever you want to pay for". :grin: I fully support a customer's right to want something dumb if it's legal.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:

At least one receptacle must be within 3 feet of the outside edge of each basin [210.52(D)].

It says what it says, what can I say? ;)

Where the heck are you guys getting the 12" from? (Never mind, see you guys are really stretching on that one)

Last edited:

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
My interpretation would be "okay, whatever you want to pay for". :grin: I fully support a customer's right to want something dumb if it's legal.

Its not really dumb since its a powder room, who the heck uses those receptacles anyhow?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
From the 2005

Here is the 2008 art. 210.52(D)

(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
Its not really dumb since its a powder room, who the heck uses those receptacles anyhow?
Realistically, unless you have a house full of guests, and everyone's trying to get ready to go someplace at the same time, it might never get used. I mostly observe people using them for a decorative night light or a Glade Plug-In.

Have you ever had one of these combo inspectors try to make you put a receptacle in a non-dwelling bathroom? I went for a round with a guy over that not too long ago. He didn't have an NEC with him, and of all the days, neither did I, so it got a little bit drug out.

Jljohnson

stickboy1375 said:
It says what it says, what can I say? ;)

Where the heck are you guys getting the 12" from? (Never mind, see you guys are really stretching on that one)
It is in the wording of the exception in the 05 book and the normal portion odf the article in the 08, both times with respect to the alternatives to installing in the wall. The 08 book actually uses the word "countertop" which a pedestal sink doesn't even have. Your installation meets the letter of the code and I agree with Mark. As long as an owner's request is code compliant, who am I to argue?

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
Have you ever had one of these combo inspectors try to make you put a receptacle in a non-dwelling bathroom? I went for a round with a guy over that not too long ago. He didn't have an NEC with him, and of all the days, neither did I, so it got a little bit drug out.

No, but my boss drives alot of ground rods at non SDS generators... :grin: I swear they all take the same inspector class, since they all give the same answers to the same questions...

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
No, but my boss drives alot of ground rods at non SDS generators... :grin: I swear they all take the same inspector class, since they all give the same answers to the same questions...
In the end, it doesn't hurt a thing, unless you strain something pounding in the rod. :grin: I don't know about CT in particular, but I think that most of the northeast is one gigantic ledge rock. Ground rods are not exactly high up on the list of fun things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.