Installing devices on rough in

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That is part of it not all of it, the other part of it is the thickness of the flat part of the ring.

Grab a ring and mesure it, you will see what I am taking about. :)

I'm with you.....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I guess it is.
When we had to start grounding switches, we would leave the hot in , ground long enough to wrap from one switch to the next. Didnt fly.
In a 4g its 10 grounds and a blue wirenut.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Pretty strange. Never been turned down.

electricalist

Back then, it wasnt my place to ask why.
When it comes to dealing with the AHJ its like discussing politics or religion, knowing you dont agree and ask yourself ,,, is this a moral install or is this a job.
The AHJ can cause me to make changes in my work if he wants, when he hands me the green tag I get my money.
In cases where those changes are costly, we have lost money, but in the end the AHJ was a totally different Athourity towards us.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

480sparky

AHJ is for Authority Having Jurisdiction. Sounds like you've capitulated to what has become your AHD..... Authority Having Dictatorship. Once you let them roll over you, you've given them the ability to continue to do so again and again.

GerryB

One electrician I knew said he breaks the ears off the devices and installs then before the rock, this way he can adjust them out if need be. Don't know if that's a code violation or not, would probably be ok for switches but a problem with an outlet not flush to the wall.

kwired

Electron manager
I havent tried it but had heard of it..
I went to a little biddy 6 plug wall rough. It was outside of my usual drive in miles but I thought if I put the devices in now, im already standing here and it passes inspection then my next trip it ll save me some time.

The drywallers will smash them into the boxes, then install the drywall and use their router to cut the opening...I would not expect that there would be a usable device left after they finish.
That little biddy 6 plug rough maybe doesn't get drywalled by same crews that do larger projects, but rather a smaller one or two man crew that does a little bit of everything. Often those guys are not so reckless, they are also the same guys that have to tape it and will be a little more careful hanging just so they don't have as many repairs to make.

Isn't the standard to push in the roto zip until it hits the back of the box and then come forward again?
Yes, so you are better off running metal raceways and pull conductors after they hang the rock:happyyes:

On a rough in inspection in resi its not so easy to see if the grounds are made up and in cases with multiple devices , that there is a ground for each device. In commercial green screws sticking through the box usually satisfies the inspector.
It does seem time consuming to strip in a house only to go back and crawl across the floor again cause the plugs are horizontal 1 block off the bottom plate. Ugh.

I hardly ever connect anything at rough in. When using NM cables the sheath is not even stripped most of the time in the boxes at rough in.

AHJ is for Authority Having Jurisdiction. Sounds like you've capitulated to what has become your AHD..... Authority Having Dictatorship. Once you let them roll over you, you've given them the ability to continue to do so again and again.
Agree, respect them and they usually will respect you in return, but don't let them walk all over you either.

mwm1752

Could apply
1 10.12 Mechanical Execution of Work
( B) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

kwired

Electron manager
Here the grounds have to be made up for a wall rough inspection

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
Single cable entry into a nonmetallic box - nothing to make up until you install the device;)

Inspectors here use a "bug eye" tester on the 15/20 amp 120 volt receptacles - doesn't confirm properly terminating those conductors but does tell them if you didn't connect them at all (at least in a nonmetallic system). They can randomly open any device and take a look, if they would find something wrong that will lead to more random checks. I don't how it would be handled if they keep finding things, never been in that situation.

Switches - simple use of a non contact voltage tester near the ends of the mounting yoke (even with wall plate installed) will reveal a missing bond to the yoke, they check nearly every switch that way during a final as well as luminaires. Only once have I ever had one that indicated it was not bonded though it was - and we couldn't figure out why it was indicated that way. (The NCVT picks up capacitve coupling on the non bonded component and gives you same signal it does on a live conductor).

480sparky

One electrician I knew said he breaks the ears off the devices and installs then before the rock, this way he can adjust them out if need be. Don't know if that's a code violation or not, would probably be ok for switches but a problem with an outlet not flush to the wall.

If the idea is to set the box further back than flush with the finish wall, yes there could be a violation. Plus, when you trim, the only thing holding the device in out in place would be the cover plate unless you remove it so you can shim it outm

Status
Not open for further replies.