Irreversible connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatpad

I am going to be switching the service disconnect from an existing interior panel to a new ATS mounted outside. The existing GEC's are a couple feet too short to reach the ATS. I a going to need some type of irreversible connectors to add the extra conductor onto the #4 and #6 GEC's. Could someone recommend a code compliant connector to do this?

Also, since this is irreversible, would I be able to bury it in the wall?

Flatpad

Most any compression type connector would be considered irreversible. Burndy has some here.
I don't have the proper crimper for those connectors. I was told that they make irreversible connectors that can be installed with typical hand tools.

I will get me a nice Burndy crimper one day, something that I can splice services in with instead of dealing with splitbolts up on a ladder. But things have been slow and Christmas is coming up, so many sometime in the new year.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't have the proper crimper for those connectors. I was told that they make irreversible connectors that can be installed with typical hand tools....
I don't know any way to make a proper irreversible crimp without a proper crimper. I would check with some electrical supply houses. One of ours will let you use their's if you leave a deposit or credit card.

Flatpad

Thanks Dennis. I can only assume that is expensive :jawdrop:

Action Dave, I'll inquire with the supply house about loaning out a crimper. If not, I'll borrow one from a fellow EC.

Just to be sure, can I bury these connections in a wall?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could he splice and extend just the #4 GEC and split bolt the #6 to it or would that connect require accessibility?

Flatpad

To be honest, I don't even know why the #6 is there :?

The house has a well with PVC pipe and PEX inside. The #4 is coming from a UFER ground directly out of the footing. The #6 is going into the ground outside. Why would they drive a ground rod when there is a UFER ground? :?

It's JCP&L's territory in NJ, I'm not sure if they require this (I don't usually work in this area)?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not sure about JCP&L but if there is a CEE present then you're correct you don't need ground rods.

Flatpad

Not sure about JCP&L but if there is a CEE present then you're correct you don't need ground rods.

But since the ground rods and GEC is there, I HAVE to use it, I can't just cut the #6 close to the ground and kick some dirt over it :angel:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We can call it a piece of metal, but we all know that it's a listed rod electrode :D

Yup, that was my point, if the eletrode is present then you must use it. Cut off a few inches and it's no longer 8' and no longer an eletrode.

kwired

Electron manager
Most any compression type connector would be considered irreversible. Burndy has some here.

There is a little more to it than just irreversible:

Splicing of the wire-type grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

Not all compression type connectors are listed as grounding and bonding equipment. I think most that are need different crimper or dies than those that are not. I think they require a higher force crimper than other types and if your crimper doesn't provide enough force then they don't make the correct die for your crimper.

One shot exothermic welds may seem expensive, but if you don't do enough of this to make the crimper worth the expense they are quite cheap.

I am going to be switching the service disconnect from an existing interior panel to a new ATS mounted outside. The existing GEC's are a couple feet too short to reach the ATS. I a going to need some type of irreversible connectors to add the extra conductor onto the #4 and #6 GEC's. Could someone recommend a code compliant connector to do this?

Also, since this is irreversible, would I be able to bury it in the wall?

There is a series of grounding connectors that basically require a hammer to install. It usually involves the wedge principle, where you drive a wedge between the two conductors that are sitting in an oblong barrel, or a sloped slit that gets hammered over a column web. (No time to find the reference though....)

Flatpad

There is a series of grounding connectors that basically require a hammer to install. It usually involves the wedge principle, where you drive a wedge between the two conductors that are sitting in an oblong barrel, or a sloped slit that gets hammered over a column web. (No time to find the reference though....)
I've been searching but haven't been able to find anything like that. If you can think of the name and manufacturer, I would appreciate it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is a little more to it than just irreversible:

Not all compression type connectors are listed as grounding and bonding equipment. I think most that are need different crimper or dies than those that are not. I think they require a higher force crimper than other types and if your crimper doesn't provide enough force then they don't make the correct die for your crimper.

One shot exothermic welds may seem expensive, but if you don't do enough of this to make the crimper worth the expense they are quite cheap.
Just out of curiosity, did you open the link Dennis posted? It is specific to the topic at hand.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.