junction box in attic-inspector question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrandt

Is it illegal to put a 4 square j-box in the attic on rafters and then cover the j-box with insulation?

Had an inspector tell a home owner it had to be on the top rafters out of the insulation so you could find it, if you had too.

I have never heard of this, is it true and if so were in the code book.

And yes the attic is accessible, has crawl space.

Thanks for any input.

Jim W in Tampa

junction box itself is no issue. Covering it up is pushing it a bit. You would be removing part of the finish (insulation) to get to it. I think his main concern is not being able to locate it. Might ask him if he would go for 2x4 painted red sticking up saying junction box.
I did many fire jobs and the inspectors request i keep them in site and paint them red. One house had about 40 boxes up there. Not something i am proud of but was all we could do as we had to remove all the trusses so lots of cutting.

e57

I believe Insulation Contractors actually have to flag them now, and I have been seeing them post warnings about electrical in the insulation at entrances to the attic.

sgunsel

Depends on the insulation. If sprayed foam - pretty tough to locate or access under any circumstances, while most cellulose or fiberglass insulation would hardly be a deterrent. And 24 inches of blown in stuff would be a pain to work in.

Npstewart

According to the NEC, its accessible if you dont have to damage the building in order to access it. I would ask for a code citation or his concern.

jumper

I disagree that insulation is building finish.

I do as well.:)

Chris

Depends on the insulation. If sprayed foam - pretty tough to locate or access under any circumstances, while most cellulose or fiberglass insulation would hardly be a deterrent. And 24 inches of blown in stuff would be a pain to work in.

According to the NEC, its accessible if you dont have to damage the building in order to access it. I would ask for a code citation or his concern.

X3. Unless it's foam insulation, it's can be moved around with no 'damage'.

I am with them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I agree that it may not be a violation. If I was doing a service call and I crawled up in the attic and shined my flashlight around and didn't see a j-box you can sure bet I'm not going to climb up there and walk every joist until I found one.

I say that it's a very poor install.

Jim W in Tampa

If it is marked i have no issue but if unmarked just how do you plan on finding the box ? Take a shovel and rake with you ? You all know it never goes back as nice as it was before.
I would call it concealed.

iwire

Staff member
If it is marked i have no issue but if unmarked just how do you plan on finding the box ? Take a shovel and rake with you ? You all know it never goes back as nice as it was before.
I would call it concealed.

So you would be the kind of inspector that you complain about here. Just make things up on the spot.

Fast1911

It's all up to interpretation IMO, we had an inspector fail us once because the J-box was on the other side of the house from the access point. It was mounted WELL ABOVE the insulation. He said nobody would be able to get to it, even though it was wide open trusses. Sometimes the inspector just wins :D

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I don't do residential but the definition of concealed per Article 100 is "Rendered inaccessible by the structure or finish of the building." Burying a box in insulation may make it a pain to find but it is not rendered inaccessible. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.