Just a Little Reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Going thru the dreaded home inspection process in order to sell home. A receptacle was called to my attention for having a loose ground. Upon further investigation I believe I know what is causing it just need a little reassurance since I'm mainly industrial mindset. Upon taking voltage readings I found approx 118v from L1-N, L1-GND 60v, N-GND 60v. This tells me I have lost my bond between the GND and Neutral possibly at panel or I don't have complete continuity from recept in question back to panel on a ground or neutral. I'm leaning more towards the GRND being the problem since I'm reading good voltage between L1 and Neutral. Is this correct thinking? Thanks in advance guys!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd say that you'll probably find a receptacle that does not have a grounding conductor at all.

Try using a solenoid-type tester. I bet you won't get the same 60v readings.

Strahan

Worked on this problem today and here is what I found. 20amp circuit has 7 receptacles and 3 lights. Pulled every recept out of the wall and found all grounds to be properly connected as well as neutrals. 2 of the recepts test find while the remaining 5 dont. As well as the five recepts 2 of the three lights have voltage between the ground and neutral. This is is a finished basement and with pulling all devices out and inspecting connections as well as at panel and not finding anything I would guess there is a J-box buried somewhere I'm missing. Without tearing drywall down what are some possible solutions?

Mule

assuming this is the only recept that has these readings, is it possible that wire feeding this recept has a floating ECG and you are reading induced voltages on the ground? Maybe look up stream on the branch circuit and look for a ECG that has slipped out of the wire nut.

steelersman

Mule said:
assuming this is the only recept that has these readings, is it possible that wire feeding this recept has a floating ECG and you are reading induced voltages on the ground? Maybe look up stream on the branch circuit and look for a ECG that has slipped out of the wire nut.
you mean EGC?

Mule

I didnt read where he said this was the "only" recept with this problem, might be the whole ground system in the house is floating.....also unscrew the light bulbs on that branch and see if your readings change?????

Strahan

Mule said:

Yes I agree 100%. I'm sure I have a bad connection with a ground somewhere in the finished ceiling, because all devices were pulled out aand connections were checked. My problem is with the ceiling being finished I would have a *ell of a time finding this not to mention tons of drywall to fix. The house is set to close sept. 30 am I totally of base with thinking of going with GFCI?

steelersman

Strahan said:
Yes I agree 100%. I'm sure I have a bad connection with a ground somewhere in the finished ceiling, because all devices were pulled out aand connections were checked. My problem is with the ceiling being finished I would have a *ell of a time finding this not to mention tons of drywall to fix. The house is set to close sept. 30 am I totally of base with thinking of going with GFCI?
That sounds like a reasonable solution to me

Mule

Strahan said:

Sounds like Wiremold time...........hahaha:D

Strahan

Mule said:
I didnt read where he said this was the "only" recept with this problem, might be the whole ground system in the house is floating.....also unscrew the light bulbs on that branch and see if your readings change?????

It pertains to one 3/4 of one circuit not the whole house. Just this particular part of the circuit. Did the whole light bulb thing with no luck. I believe a ground is either cut or pulled out of a wire nut somewhere. Buyers are concerned for saftey reasons so a thought would be to add GFCI.

Mule

So you'r absolutly sure connections are correct between recept #2 and recept #3? Sorry Im just thinking "out loud"

steelersman

Strahan said:
It pertains to one 3/4 of one circuit not the whole house. Just this particular part of the circuit. Did the whole light bulb thing with no luck. I believe a ground is either cut or pulled out of a wire nut somewhere. Buyers are concerned for saftey reasons so a thought would be to add GFCI.
gfci breaker just to cover the whole circuit. Might as well.

Strahan

Mule said:
So you'r absolutly sure connections are correct between recept #2 and recept #3? Sorry Im just thinking "out loud"

Yes I verified all connections I could access and they are good. The problem is in the ceiling somewhere.

quogueelectric

Buy yourself a little cube tester and run around and see what it tells you. They are very usefull tools in troubleshooting. this is probably what the home inspector will also use. Why not fix it right??? Is the basement cieling sheetrocked or is it a dropped cieling??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.