Legal or not? Spot The Violation, Monday Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Got a small detached garage to wire, went out and roughed it in today. New house being built w/ 2c detached garage, and when I stubbed my wires into the attached garage for the other electrician to land, I saw this.

DSC_3127.jpg

Legal, or not?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I also vote for code legal, but probably not a good idea, given the siding issue.

How hard would it have been to add 3 2X2's to fasten the Romex to?

is it stapled within 12 inches of the box?

Last edited:

mtfallsmikey

Not trying to hijack the thread, but when I got up this morning, saw an episode of Holmes on Holmes called "re-in-venting". Main problem with this house was the undersized high-velocity A.C. system, but the main panel was installed on a wall horizontally...is that legal?

But on the romex stapled to the OSB...that to me would be a "workmanlike quality" issue.

Split Bolt

Not trying to hijack the thread, but when I got up this morning, saw an episode of Holmes on Holmes called "re-in-venting". Main problem with this house was the undersized high-velocity A.C. system, but the main panel was installed on a wall horizontally...is that legal?

But on the romex stapled to the OSB...that to me would be a "workmanlike quality" issue.

I'll be the first to jump on this issue that always seems to rear it's ugly head. Holmes on Homes is a Canadian show. In Canada, they can't run branch circuit wiring through the "main" wiring section of the panel, so they get around this by mounting the panel sideways, bringing the romex in their "top" which would be our "side."

jetlag

I will go with stupid and short sighted but not directly prohibited by the NEC.

Ive often wondered if it was a violation for cable to be against the osb anywhere . This happens a lot when insulation pushes the cable back. Some think its ok if siding is already on, but vinyl siding gets replaced a lot and they use long 1 1/2 tacks because can start with out hitting their fingers as much. They nail it on the slots not by stud location. Most other siding is nailed to studs . On my own house I keep the cables 1 1/4 from osb same as is required from frame members. I have the insulation sliced into so not push back the cable or install insulation between cable and osb. I will be checking posts to see if anyone finds a code violation for cable against the osb.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I have that situation it only takes 5 minutes to cut 2- 2x4 about
14 1/2" long and nail them against the back plywood with the 3 1/2" dimension flat to the plywood. Then I can easily staple neatly down to the panel.

jetlag

I forgot to say on slicing the insulation I was talking about a cable passing across between 2 drilled studs, in case like the garage I would put enough 2x2 cross pieces and the wire tight so insulation not able to push the wire back to osb. I guess if wire is tight between drilled studs the insulation couldnt push it back either , I admit some times I worry more than I should

jetlag

In Canada, where the show is filmed at, is legal.

So is there a code for here that prohibits the horizonal mount? What a mess that would be , the building code would require an doubled header with ply wood between to span the missing studs ,, All the cables would have to driill thru and that would also violate the code for the haeder i think .. The code also shows a hollow box header header made of 2x3 s with 1/2 '' plywood on each side but I dont think you can drill it either, IN canada they must install on interior non load bearing wall , or either surface mount the box , in which what would be the advantage to turn the box , nm can com out the side if there is no stud in the way... I need to stop Im lost

cdcengineer

NEC 300.4 only addresses were cables are routed thru bored holes in wood, but I would fall back on 110.12, re: lack of workmanship..

iwire

Staff member
So is there a code for here that prohibits the horizonal mount?

No, but there is a code section that requires that up is ON for vertically mounted breakers.

So if you turn a panel on it's side you can oly use half of the bus spaces.

The Canadian deal is actually pretty good, with their panels once you turn off the main breaker there are no exposed live parts in the panel because they have another cover that only covers the service conductors and line side of the main breaker.

Don tried to get that rule accepted here and I think it should have been but the CMPs said no.

iwire

Staff member
NEC 300.4 only addresses were cables are routed thru bored holes in wood, but I would fall back on 110.12, re: lack of workmanship..

The NFPA considers both words 'neat' and 'workmanlike' to be vague and possibly unenforceable.

IMO neither is really enforceable as both are subjective terms.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
300.4 First line

"Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be protected."

Now everyone so far believes that the conductors are subject to physical damage.

Why do we need to read any farther? And read 334.17.

iwire

Staff member
300.4 First line

"Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be protected."

IMHO The problem lies with the fact that unless you are always calling it out when insulation is holding NM against the sheet rock or OSB you are doing selective enforcement which is unfair to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.