Manufacturer's Instructions

kwired

Electron manager
I have been using that method now for more than 20 years, with an interlock. For me it's a simple solution for less than a full day problem.
forget the male to male cord for a minute, give us the what and how on the mentioned interlock, keeping in mind I mentioned they would be plugged into ranger or dryer receptacle.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
forget the male to male cord for a minute, give us the what and how on the mentioned interlock, keeping in mind I mentioned they would be plugged into ranger or dryer receptacle.

First ... Hoe you are doing well.
Second ... I don't recommend this procedure to anyone else.
Third ... Attached is the interlock I spoke of.
Fourth ... I do enjoy reading your comments, and keep up the good work to the electrical world !

Attachments

• THQLLX1_product_details.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 19

retirede

First ... Hoe you are doing well.
Second ... I don't recommend this procedure to anyone else.
Third ... Attached is the interlock I spoke of.
Fourth ... I do enjoy reading your comments, and keep up the good work to the electrical world !

The interlock will render the receptacle useless for its normal function. You might as well do it right and change the receptacle to an inlet.

mtnelect

Occupation
The interlock will render the receptacle useless for its normal function. You might as well do it right and change the receptacle to an inlet.

1) I have a gas dryer.
2) SCE batting average is at least 4 hrs. every month. I live in the foothills of Angeles National Forest.
3) It's a very simple operation.
4) I installed a pilot light on the main panel, to indicate the restored power.
5) WARNING ... Only highly trained individuals should perform this method !

kwired

Electron manager
In my opinion, that's exactly who won't perform that method, even at his own home.
When I first moved into my house we had ice storm and I wasn't exactly prepared for it yet. Had a portable generator rigged up to power things but not a proper transfer switch in use at that time. Though I felt the same way about being capable of doing the right things even though not actually code compliant or even just industry standard to do what I did, I caught myself almost turning the main back on before disconnecting the generator - was out for three days and eager to get back on utility supply and not thinking all that clearly.

Bottom line do it the right way.

mtnelect

Occupation
When I first moved into my house we had ice storm and I wasn't exactly prepared for it yet. Had a portable generator rigged up to power things but not a proper transfer switch in use at that time. Though I felt the same way about being capable of doing the right things even though not actually code compliant or even just industry standard to do what I did, I caught myself almost turning the main back on before disconnecting the generator - was out for three days and eager to get back on utility supply and not thinking all that clearly.

I agree ... After 20 years of transferring manually, I am going to install a Generac ! The old Coleman needs to be retired.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

I did the same thing. Except I did turn the main on first.... didn't destroy anything because I got it turned back off quickly. Next time there was a manual transfer switch between me and another stupid move. Don't ever think you won't because you will...

kwired

Electron manager
I did the same thing. Except I did turn the main on first.... didn't destroy anything because I got it turned back off quickly. Next time there was a manual transfer switch between me and another stupid move. Don't ever think you won't because you will...
Same Ice storm where I almost turned main on too soon, I of course had many service calls with people wanting a generator connected that did not have any transfer switch. No way I was going to make them wait for proper equipment as well as time for me to get back to them, power would been back on for many before they'd be connected. But I did find some way to physically isolate the the utility supply so that basically I would need to come back to enable it again after utility was restored.