Need help on "ballpark guess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I got a request for a "ballpark guess" estimate from a GC for a 2600 SF house, elevated 10' off the ground with some downstairs storage, carport and a bathroom. Two bedrooms, two baths, all gas appliances including heat and on-demand W/H and dryer, one 5 ton heat pump, basic lighting and power. Service is underground, not far from the house. It's in a flood area also.
Problem is, I know how to do the job, but have never really bid a job like this and am not sure what to tell the guy. He won't forward the plans without a guess, and I would like to get the job.
Anyone have an idea of how they wouyld price this, parts and labor? I am in south Louisiana, and people here are tightwads when it comes to work like this. Parts cost what they cost, and being as I want the job to pay for my license-working for a friend right now through his company-I can go a little lower on labor. Just looking for an idea of what to tell the GC for a rough estimate.
Would a price per square foot work here? I'm more leaning to flat rate, but that's more for service. Never really priced out a new house.
Also, could use any ideas ASAP if anyone can help. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks Guys!!

Mike.

480sparky

Square foot pricing just does't work. You need to calculate it by what is spec'ed, using your material & labor costs,

A lot of members can give you their price, but that's based on their costs.

Buck Parrish

mwysinger said:
Hey all,

I am in south Louisiana, and people here are tightwads when it comes to work like this. Parts cost what they cost, and being as I want the job to pay for my license-working for a friend right now through his company-I can go a little lower on labor.

I hope for your sake nobody from the Louisiana Electical State Board is reading your post. Because it is illegall to do electrical work with out a license.

Last edited:

satcom

mwysinger said:
Hey all,

He won't forward the plans without a guess

Tell him your crystal ball, needs the plans to make a guess

Whatever the job, you need plans, and a look at the job site, that flood plane can be a problem for underground lateral. how will you know how to price it until you have the utility company do a site inspection for the service?

I am sure others will give you some ideas, so just stand by

Last edited:

frogneck77

and being as I want the job to pay for my license-working for a friend right now through his company- Mike.[/QUOTE said:
I would work for another company until you get your license, and then start a company. Nothing upsets me more than bidding against people who dont play the game fair. This is how the system works in CT: You start off as a registered apprentice, then you get your journeymens license, then you get your contractors license. 720 Hours of schooling, 12,000 hours in the trade working under an electrical contractor registered with the state. I make it a point to call the state on any trades I see working with unlicensed(unqualified) workers. How is what you are doing fair to the other legitimate contractors in your state(and every state). It is situations like this that lower the rate for all electricians!

frogneck77

satcom said:
I am sure others will give you some ideas, so just stand by
No licensed contractors should give him any ideas-Heres an idea-Tell him $500,000-and send me and every other contractor on this site some money to make up for the jobs we lost to people supporting illegal work practices

Buck Parrish

frogneck77 said:
No licensed contractors should give him any ideas-Heres an idea-Tell him $500,000-and send me and every other contractor on this site some money to make up for the jobs we lost to people supporting illegal work practices

You tell him Frog.
Where's Iwire ? He will get fired up , too.:mad:

buckofdurham said:
I hope for your sake nobody from the Louisiana Electical State Board is reading your post. Because it is illegall to do electrical work with out a license.

That said , still don't do it cheap. I 've done a pier house before it wasn't to bad. You'll be on a ladder a lot. I would charge $13000.
In Louisiana, the STATE only requires you to have a license if the electrical work-parts and labor-goes over $50K. If it's between $7500 and $49,999, you have to registered, which costs $60 and have insurance. Under $7500, have fun! Gotta love that good ole boy network, huh?
Technically, since I am working for a licensed contractor, who assumes responsibility for permits and inspections, I am legal. Just so happens that with this job I can afford to get my own license and company started. Then I will still be legal. Not trying to break any laws, just trying to keep my head above water down here, 'cuz my regular job ain't cutting it. Not trying to cut out any body or get around the law.

frogneck77

Sorry, I forget that not all states have strict licensing standards. I would ask other contractors for advice on what they charge per device and figure the job that way-much safer IMO than sq. ft. pricing. Just dont bid too low! That is what may hurt other contractors in your area(directly or indirectly)

mwysinger said:
In Louisiana, the STATE only requires you to have a license if the electrical work-parts and labor-goes over $50K. If it's between $7500 and $49,999, you have to registered, which costs $60 and have insurance. Under $7500, have fun!

Sounds like the price needs to be $7,499.00 to me ;)
Just be careful what is excluded from that number (like the UG lateral in a flood plain, and light fixtures, and cableTV).

frogneck77 said:
I would work for another company until you get your license, and then start a company. Nothing upsets me more than bidding against people who dont play the game fair. This is how the system works in CT: You start off as a registered apprentice, then you get your journeymens license, then you get your contractors license. 720 Hours of schooling, 12,000 hours in the trade working under an electrical contractor registered with the state. I make it a point to call the state on any trades I see working with unlicensed(unqualified) workers. How is what you are doing fair to the other legitimate contractors in your state(and every state). It is situations like this that lower the rate for all electricians!
I understand why you're hacked off about what I said. If I had to go through all that to get a license and was bidding against somebody like that where you live, I'd be a little hot too. But down here, where we have the best politicians money can buy-seriously-all you have to do to be a licensed contractor is pay $75 to get your business name registered with the state, pay $265 to take an 80 question open-book test on the 1993 NEC, and BAM!!!-you're a contractor. Don't even have to have insurance to get the license. Can't do any work without it, but...People here do. I don't plan to.
For this job, I am working under a licensed contractor who is working for another company right now-'cause he's making a pile of money with them-and then I will get my own business and license.
I have learned a lot from this forum and from studying on my own, and 15 years of experience. I strive to do everything by the book, and am a perfectionist. I'm not trying to screw the other guy by underbidding anyone, but this GC placed an ad on Craigslist for Pete's sake. He's not looking for the most expensive guy out there. Louisiana is a good old boy state, and everybody is broke and wants something for nothing. It's hard to even get work down here, much less have the cash up front for the license and insurance when you're broke to start with. I really want to do this right, but it takes money to make the world go 'round. Knowutimeen?
Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities. I won't ask any further about this subject in the future.
BTW, I lived in Texas for a while a couple of years ago, and it is a witch to get a license there. Their State Journeyman's license there is the exact same as the Contractor's test here in LA. So I do know about how the rest of the country lives. But, that is why everything costs so much more there. I had to get an apprentice license as soon as I moved there just to get A job. Not even an apprentice can be unlicensed there. If Louisiana starts requiring stuff like that here, no one will be doing electrical work anymore.

Thanks anyway guys.

Buck Parrish

Figures, :roll: No wonder Louisiana is so screwed up. :mad: You must be way out in the boonies.
I'll bet the metropolitan areas have stricter licensing laws.:cool:

frogneck77

Sorry to vent on your post. I respect what you are trying to do, and I respect that you are following the laws in your state. Im in a situation right now bidding on a job for a GC. The other bidders price on the project was %30 lower than my bid. The only way he is bidding the project that low is by not charging a fair market price for labor. In my state the business is becoming much more competitive in monkey work(standard new construction residential), and it frustrates me to have to compete against guys hiring illegal immigrants, or 10 apprentices to 1 journeyman. With the cost of health insurance, comp, liability, gas, etc. I hope I can still stay competitive and play by the rules

LawnGuyLandSparky

S-008.jpg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mwysinger said:
Problem is, I know how to do the job, but have never really bid a job like this and am not sure what to tell the guy. He won't forward the plans without a guess, and I would like to get the job.
Your desperation will lead to your demise. No plans; no quote.

mwysinger said:
Anyone have an idea of how they wouyld price this, parts and labor? I am in south Louisiana, and people here are tightwads when it comes to work like this. Parts cost what they cost, and being as I want the job to pay for my license-working for a friend right now through his company-I can go a little lower on labor. Just looking for an idea of what to tell the GC for a rough estimate.
Would a price per square foot work here? I'm more leaning to flat rate, but that's more for service (-- aren't you providing a service? --). Never really priced out a new house.

I know you're anxious to get this business thing started, but don't you think you need more preparation? How can you go into business without even knowing what to charge? What is your overhead going to be? What is your budget for say, vehicles, fuel, advertising, tools, material inventory. How many billable hours are you estimating your budget on? Mike, this residential job is not going to magically give you the capital to start a business. Don't be offended brother, I'm just trying to keep you clear of the iceberg ahead. You know what I'm saying? I've been there too. Make a better plan for your own sake. Research this forum. There are threads almost every week about what books should you read, how to do this and that. . .its all here. I'm just sayin'.

mwysinger said:
. . . . I'm not trying to screw the other guy by underbidding anyone, but this GC placed an ad on Craigslist for Pete's sake. He's not looking for the most expensive guy out there. Louisiana is a good old boy state, and everybody is broke and wants something for nothing. It's hard to even get work down here, much less have the cash up front for the license and insurance when you're broke to start with. I really want to do this right, but it takes money to make the world go 'round. Knowutimeen?

Man, if its that bad I think I'd find another industry to work in!

Status
Not open for further replies.