Need help on "ballpark guess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
walkerj said:
The Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors requires you to have at least $10,000 before issuing your contractors license.
Also, permits are required if the ENTIRE job is over $50,000, not the electrical.
BTW, I live in Dehnam too

If that's what you were told or made to do, then one of us was lied to by the Board. I called and spoke to them, and they told me that insurance was not required to GET the license, but you had to have it before you could bid any work. There is there requirement about having a financial statement filled out showing $10 K in assets, though. They also told me that a license was required ONLY if the ELECTRICAL part of the job went over $50K, parts and labor. I will research this more, obviously, because it's highly likely that whoever told me all this was new or just full of BS.

Also, about the other comment about my employer covering my insurance, my company has another electrician working in another part of the state for them who was already licensed when they hired him. They just paid for HIS insurance, not cover him under their ins. I believe they may make the same deal for me. But...Who knows?

Nice to hear from someone who lives in the south-not to mention my own city. Thanks!

walkerj

mwysinger said:
If that's what you were told or made to do, then one of us was lied to by the Board. I called and spoke to them, and they told me that insurance was not required to GET the license, but you had to have it before you could bid any work. There is there requirement about having a financial statement filled out showing $10 K in assets, though. They also told me that a license was required ONLY if the ELECTRICAL part of the job went over $50K, parts and labor. I will research this more, obviously, because it's highly likely that whoever told me all this was new or just full of BS.

Also, about the other comment about my employer covering my insurance, my company has another electrician working in another part of the state for them who was already licensed when they hired him. They just paid for HIS insurance, not cover him under their ins. I believe they may make the same deal for me. But...Who knows?

Nice to hear from someone who lives in the south-not to mention my own city. Thanks!

You don't need the insurance until you bid work, but what's the point without it?

As far as the $50,000, if that was the case, then the hundreds of houses I've wired would not have needed to be inspected or have electrical permits pulled. Besides, they play the same commercial everyday about the 50,000 requiring licensced contractors.

I know for a fact that Livingston, Ascension, and East Baton Rouge parishes all require the same permitting and licensing by the state(although the permit process is somewhat different).

P.S. How about that Bass Pro?:D

walkerj said:
You don't need the insurance until you bid work, but what's the point without it?

As far as the $50,000, if that was the case, then the hundreds of houses I've wired would not have needed to be inspected or have electrical permits pulled. Besides, they play the same commercial everyday about the 50,000 requiring licensced contractors.

I know for a fact that Livingston, Ascension, and East Baton Rouge parishes all require the same permitting and licensing by the state(although the permit process is somewhat different).

P.S. How about that Bass Pro?:D

I agree about the insurance, but that's what's good for me because I can get the license and then go to my company and find out if they will cover it for me. If not, well, I'll get it myself. No biggie.

I thought that what they told me on the phone was BS, but they are the ones working for the state, not me. What you said makes more sense.

BTW, haven't seen the inside of the Bass Pro yet, but might go tomorrow.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.