Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
milwaukeesteve said:
That is not accurate as a representation of this rule. Try this one:

Rule: If you have an orange ball, you are the only one that can play ball.
Exception: If you have blue balls, then you can play with them.
I don't think that is accurate either. The exception has absolutely no ties with the rule, in your example. There is no conclusion that can be met at all.

I can see this analogy:

Rule: Mark Wagner can only play with orange balls.
Exception: When Mark Wagner puts on his gloves and has both gloves on.

So when Mark Wagner puts on his gloves can he no longer play with orange balls? That's not how I read the sentence. I see it as, when Mark puts his gloves on, he's free to choose the color of ball he plays with. He can hang on to his orange ball if he chooses, or he can pick up a blue one.

Does he have to put his gloves on? Not if he's content with orange balls.

iwire

Staff member
Boy I am sure glad this thread got cleared up with the use of balls and colors.

Can someone send me play book so I can follow along at home.
icon10.gif

milwaukeesteve

by Iwire
I use a 12/3 NM to feed a 240 volt 20 amp air handler and 120 volt outlet.

I supply the 240 to the air handler with black and red, than I use black and white to supply the receptacle at the unit for service of course I do this on the line side of the disconnecting means.

Try to find code or safety reason why I can not or should not do this.

First, I don't see anything 'safety' wise wrong with this. I'll give you that. This may be a perfect example of this type of use for that service outlet next to an airhandler.

Second, remember that you have to include other code rules in your example. (and I am not talking wiring methods)
- The air handler, is a 'fastened in place' utilization equipment per 210.23(a)(2), and that load then cannot exceed 50% of the ampere rating of the circuit. That is one of our 'protections' against someone plugging in way too much stuff and overloading the circuit.

Sorry for bringing colors and balls into the discussion as a visual, because now with all this talk about balls and gloves, I feel like I need visit the doctor for a Physical Exam, or a baseball game. Or both, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.