new padmount service

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Thanks... I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.
ALGDAT_nightmare_by_CookiemagiK.gif

CIECO

I think that it violates at least a couple of NEC requirements.

Off the bat at least 110.8 and 352.46.

OK 110.8 is like big disclamer. but do you think if it had bushings it's ok? Not my work but that makes it hard to compete, and if the bushings were on and every thing is bonded I don't think its a hazard. Beats PVC LBS

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I will add that the steel uni-strut clips are another violation considering this is an isolated phase installation. 300.3(B)(1) Exception / 300.20(B).

Is there a chance that the 'service point' is located inside making these conductors outside reach of the NEC?

iwire

Staff member
OK 110.8 is like big disclamer.

:confused:

A brick wall is not a wiring method, there needs to be real enclosure for the transition from PVC to Wire way.

But forget 110.8 and think about 300.12.

but do you think if it had bushings it's ok?

Add an enclosure using fittings that provide a rounded surface in a way that does not violate 300.20(B), get the metal straps of the isolated phase conduits and then maybe but we are only seeing small part of the entire run.

CIECO

Did not notice the kendorf straps. service point? CT is in side and the contractor is responsible for the pri wiring, sec wiring connecting padmount and installing the CTs. Off to dinner but would like to see what else every one has to say.

charlie

Personally, I like the installation but how do you get around 300.12? After fixing the other concerns raised (especially the steel uni-strut clips and lack of bushings), if I were the AHJ, I would pass the installation based on 90.4, 2nd paragraph. In my opinion, the intent of the Code has been met. :)
By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety.

RUWired

It looks like the open bottom J-box against the wall is going to slip over the pvc conduits and "maybe" bolt to the 12 x 12 wireway that is at the opening. Looks like the install is not complete.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I will add that the steel uni-strut clips are another violation considering this is an isolated phase installation. 300.3(B)(1) Exception / 300.20(B).

Is there a chance that the 'service point' is located inside making these conductors outside reach of the NEC?

Meter socket is LB'ed into building, so CT's are inside.

The strut clamps could be acceptable if the strut is fiberglass, the clamps, alone, do not completely circle the conduits.

iwire

Staff member
Meter socket is LB'ed into building, so CT's are inside.

CTs do not always determine the service point and in my area often are well beyond it.

The strut clamps could be acceptable if the strut is fiberglass, the clamps, alone, do not completely circle the conduits.

I agree but doubt very much we are looking at fiberglass strut.

nakulak

whether or not going thru the footing was impractical, there is nothing impractical about installing a complete wiring method. The brick could easily have been cored for a complete method, and I see nothing being gained from the potentially disastrous phase grouping other than a pretty looking transformer cabt. something here is going to melt sooner or later imshio

480sparky

I would like to know how, in the short distance between the pad and the building, the pipes get crossed. It appears they exit the tansformer as N,A,B,C left to right, but come up as N,C,B,A.

And one phase per pipe, no less.

Is that a metal insert in the wall for protection/transition into the building.

From my past experience with this type of isolated phase conductor installation, I see a failure as imminent, not if, but just how long....which really will not be long at all.

The enclosure is not looking to swift either.

How is it possible that going into the building from underground is not possible?

Our POCO is now only allowing 25 feet of conductor length for isolated phase conductor service installations.

CIECO

Ok back from dinner. The utility makes this isolated phase deal mandatory on 480/277 installs. And as far as the kendorf straps go I know for a fact they do not heat up maybe all the holes in the straps. And as far as the isolated phases go when you use conduit right to the gear it makes terminating neat and easy. The pad mount sits on a 40" vault so it makes no difference on that end. Not saying I like this install but have been involved in this trade for over 30 years in this area and have seen a lot of this type of installs. May not meet NEC but they are still around. And as far as not sleeping I do not see it being unsafe. I have fixed more installs because of electrictions not understanding eddy currents and using steel conduit, boxes, LB's and the like. Checked a 1200 amp safety switch one time that the customer was complaning was very hot, opened the switch to find all the metal shaving lined up like soldiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.