NM cable in nonmetalic flex

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mike,
That is fine, but the code doesn't actually say that and I had a proposal that said the inside of any raceway that is installed in a wet location is also a wet location. It was rejected.
Don

jwelectric

I can understand why this would be rejected. The location that is wet is not the inside of the raceway but the location that the raceway is installed, ie, a car wash, dairy processing, canneries and such other location that could be located on the inside of a building and still be a wet location. Any where located outside is a wet location therefore requiring and conductors installed whether in a raceway or not to be listed for a wet location.

Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mike,
Any where located outside is a wet location therefore requiring and conductors installed whether in a raceway or not to be listed for a wet location.
There is nothing in the code that says that. If that were true, there would be no need for 300.5(B). As part of my proposal to say that the inside of raceways in wet locations was a wet location, I tried to delete 300.5(B) and they rejected that also.
Don

dnem

colosparker said:
The rule we used to use was you always strip the romex back far enough so that it does not show past the flex connectors. :wink:
We've had contractors try that trick on us. It doesn't work. Once you strip the Romex jacket and paper off, you can't reidentify the white wire anymore because it's individual conductors and not part of a cable assembly anymore [200.7(C)(1)].

Cut 2 lengths that are longer than the whip, strip the jackets, use 2 blacks and a bare. Throw the 2 whites and one bare in the scrap or pigtail box. No wet location issues, no reidentification issues.

David

allenwayne

The hand book is not the NEC and thats a fact.As we have seen in many instances like said the proposal was rejected.So the NEC for 02 stands until 05 cycle is adopted :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.