NM on Block wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

In the past when wiring in a residential garage with a block wall up to about 9 ft I will sleeve the romex in pvc conduit just till it reaches the rafters.

How do you usually do this......strap nm to block wall or sleeve in pvc.

Some will say that you can run nm in pvc. Ive never had a problem with inspectors....probally because its inside the building.

Just currious what others do.

bjp_ne_elec

I've often wondered this about "sleeving" with EMT - and I know they actually make a connector that is Romex on one side, 1/2" EMT with set screw. But don't you have to consider cross section of the whole cable. Can you legally put a 12/2 in a 1/2" piece of EMT?r

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bjp_ne_elec said:
I've often wondered this about "sleeving" with EMT - and I know they actually make a connector that is Romex on one side, 1/2" EMT with set screw. But don't you have to consider cross section of the whole cable. Can you legally put a 12/2 in a 1/2" piece of EMT?r

Where have you been hiding?

Yes you can sleeve NM in a piece of emt. The fill does not come into effect because it is not a complete raceway, it is a sleeve. IMO

There is also nothing wrong with sleeving NM in PVC-- that is my preferred method. Use a TA (connector with a bushing on top or usually I just use a coupling since it has soft rounded edges.

wbalsam1

bjp_ne_elec said:

See 358.22.
Chapter 9 Table 1 Note 9 dictates that a cable shall be counted as a single conductor for calculating % of conduit fill...53%.
12/2 NM = 0.322 in. diameter. To convert to sq in, diameter squared times 0.7854
0.322 X 0.322 = 0.103684 X 0.7854 = 0.0814334
Maximum 1/2 trade size emt at 53% = 0.131
So, it's OK.

mivey

wbalsam1 said:
See 358.22.
Chapter 9 Table 1 Note 9 dictates that a cable shall be counted as a single conductor for calculating % of conduit fill...53%.
12/2 NM = 0.322 in. diameter. To convert to sq in, diameter squared times 0.7854
0.322 X 0.322 = 0.103684 X 0.7854 = 0.0814334
Maximum 1/2 trade size emt at 53% = 0.131
So, it's OK.
It is ok because of dennis's post #4

blue spark

I was told by my inspector that sleeving in EMT will not be allowed in the 08 code. I have not yet gotten the 08 book. If this is true, I think it's ridiculous.

mivey

wbalsam1 said:
If the conduit length was over 24", of which these types of installations usually are, then why wouldn't 300.17 and 358.22 come into play? :smile:
I think the premise is that for this purpose, it is not a raceway, and those sections apply to raceways. This has to have been debated somewhere here before. Does anyone have the results of a prior debate? I'll do a search in the meantime.

nakulak

why use nm when you can use thhn, a much better grade of conductor ? (I mean, if you're gonna pipe it, pipe it !)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
nakulak said:
why use nm when you can use thhn, a much better grade of conductor ? (I mean, if you're gonna pipe it, pipe it !)

We are talking residential and all you want to do is sleeve the nm where it is exposed on a block wall. Why run conduit thru joists etc if you don't have to. Unless you live in Chicago and probably a few other big cities, NM cable is what is used.

c2500

nakulak said:
sleeved romex - looks like crap.

all pipe, looks nice and professional.

That may be, but around here you would be out of business because you would not be able to compete with those running that crappy sleeved NM.

c2500

stickboy1375

nakulak said:
sleeved romex - looks like crap.

all pipe, looks nice and professional.

Who cares? I'm not taking a picture of it and hanging it over my fireplace... :roll:

You pipe guys kill me... Besides ALL that, once they insulate you dont see the crappy NM anyhow... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.