NM on Block wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
quogueelectric said:
Is this whats called a bond beam or is it a larger sized concrete beam poured around the top of the wall.??

We call it a lentel (sorry, I have no idea how to spell that). It's one course of cinder block poured solid with concrete.

iaov

stickboy1375 said:
When you find it let us know... :wink: IMO, a snap on bushing is a fitting, so as long as I have a staple within 12" i'm good.
I'm pretty sure there is nothing in 358 about it. To my mind a snap on plastic bushing with the wire secured within 12 in of box would be good. Better than screwing a romex connecter down on the wire.I might have the bushing prohibition in a text book some where and if I ever run across it again I'll let you know. I have an inspection coming up in a couple of days and I have several pieces of EMT with snap on bushings on them. I'm curious to see what the inspector says.:smile:

76nemo

iaov said:
I'm pretty sure there is nothing in 358 about it. To my mind a snap on plastic bushing with the wire secured within 12 in of box would be good. Better than screwing a romex connecter down on the wire.I might have the bushing prohibition in a text book some where and if I ever run across it again I'll let you know. I have an inspection coming up in a couple of days and I have several pieces of EMT with snap on bushings on them. I'm curious to see what the inspector says.:smile:

Us too, if he/she gives you ANY grief, than please inform us as to why specifically:rolleyes:

blue spark

stickboy1375 said:
I just use tyraps with holes in them and use tapcons to fasten to the concrete... quick and easy.
Hmm. Never thought of that. Is that a listed method? Wouldn't work with ICF's but with the 2x2 fir out it would be faster.

stickboy1375

blue spark said:
Hmm. Never thought of that. Is that a listed method? Wouldn't work with ICF's but with the 2x2 fir out it would be faster.

Listed for what? It meets the requirements of 334.30 , and you need to strap them 1 1/4 away from the 2x2.

blue spark

augie47 said:
As far as the 2008 Code is concerned, the following:

But that specifed Crawl Spaces and Unfinished Basements. Finished Basements? I saw that too and thought I was in the clear at first. Anywho, my AHJ says not approved in 08 code. I just finshed a remodel and he said "Don't know why and I think it's stupid but...in my last class, they made a point of it.".

blue spark

stickboy1375 said:
Listed for what? It meets the requirements of 334.30 , and you need to strap them 1 1/4 away from the 2x2.
Listed as a method for securing. Works for me! Cuts my install time by half I would think.

stickboy1375

blue spark said:
But that specifed Crawl Spaces and Unfinished Basements. Finished Basements? I saw that too and thought I was in the clear at first. Anywho, my AHJ says not approved in 08 code. I just finshed a remodel and he said "Don't know why and I think it's stupid but...in my last class, they made a point of it.".

Wonder why they even limit it to crawl spaces and unfinished basements?

satcom

stickboy1375 said:
Wonder why they even limit it to crawl spaces and unfinished basements?

If fuel prices keep going up I may want to finish my crawl space and live under there.

stickboy1375

tonyou812 said:
New Jersey is famous for not in my town. Plus the senarios i talked about were when I worked for someone else so my boss at the time said just use a from to to keep the inspector happy. If I was me I would ask for an article.

I use to use a emt/rx connectors, but the price difference makes it an easy choice... here is a revised picture as well...

View attachment 1682

tonyou812

I understand that I am new to contracting and I have a lot to learn yet, especially with cutting cost but I just hate the way a piece of wood shot to the wall with romex stapled to it looks. To me it looks like something a homeowner would do. And if you really did a cost analysis what is really the price differance with 1/2 inch emt and wood. I look at it as a great way to use up all the small pieces of pipe we all throw out.

stickboy1375

tonyou812 said:
I understand that I am new to contracting and I have a lot to learn yet, especially with cutting cost but I just hate the way a piece of wood shot to the wall with romex stapled to it looks. To me it looks like something a homeowner would do. And if you really did a cost analysis what is really the price differance with 1/2 inch emt and wood. I look at it as a great way to use up all the small pieces of pipe we all throw out.

Naa, its fine, besides, the wood is free and oh yeah its in the BASEMENT, :grin:

who cares what it looks like..:wink:

By the time you get your rotary hammer out, I'm done.

tonyou812

stickboy1375 said:
Naa, its fine, besides, the wood is free and oh yeah its in the BASEMENT, :grin:

who cares what it looks like..:wink:

By the time you get your rotary hammer out, I'm done.
Millwauke v28 w hammer and always have 1/4 inch bit in pouch. Just grab my gunny sack of emt fittings/plastic anchors, bend the pipe in the truck and Im the fastest pipe sleever this side of the Hudson river.

You're on...

You're on...

tonyou812 said:
Millwauke v28 w hammer and always have 1/4 inch bit in pouch. Just grab my gunny sack of emt fittings/plastic anchors, bend the pipe in the truck and Im the fastest pipe sleever this side of the Hudson river.

Then I must be close second.. but I'm on the otherside...
I keeps a V28 hammer and 1/4" Bosch masonry bit on me at all times too...

Ready... Set... GO!
Done!

Greg :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.